BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 E46 318 MSport Vert - Some pics of my attempt of respraying my bumper!

After a month of owning my Vert, the front M sport bumper annoyed me as it had some pretty nasty kerbing and plenty of stone chips.
I tried polishing it to an inch of its life, but decided to do it properly. Here are a few pictures of my journey.
First of all I prepared the area - started off just doing the lower part (pictured) but ended up doing the entire bumper to get a better finish.
I would like to add - I'm far from a pro, my job is working in an office so far from working on cars! Just thought I would give it a go and if it goes t*ts up, would get it done by someone who knows what they are doing!

first coat of paint

24 hours later after the lacquer had dried, I sanded it down

this left a 'matt' finish.

I then gave it a good polish with T-Cut to get this

I quite like the 'american' look (no front plate)

·
Registered
6,989 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple more finished shots - have given it a final polish and wax to bring out the colour! Looks amazing in the sun with the blue flakes!

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Hope this is better :)
Very nearly, something like I have edited will do, just need to put the engine capacity in if it's a technical thread...:thumbsup

Thanks for your understanding, thread titling is very important when it comes to helping other users searching the forum.:thumbsup

Very good work BTW, nice results.:cool

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very nearly, something like I have edited will do, just need to put the engine capacity in if it's a technical thread...:thumbsup

Thanks for your understanding, thread titling is very important when it comes to helping other users searching the forum.:thumbsup

Very good work BTW, nice results.:cool
Will make sure I get it right next time! Thanks:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
:thumbsupfor your first attempt mate you made a very good job well done !!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did you spray the bumper ??

Proper spray gun or aerosol cans ?
My dad has a proper gun, but since I don't live with him anymore I made do with just a can. It was proper made up paint, rather than Halfords Black!

I would only do a bumper as its not really as visible as a bonnet! :thumbsup

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
btw how long did it take you to do it all?
Not long really - few coats last night, then did a few coats of the lacquer before bed. Sanded it down this morning and polished up. Maybe two hours of actual effort - obviously left to dry in the garage over night!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts