BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have returned to the forum after finally purchasing another BMW and I have issues with the beast already!

I purchased the car from wales 2 weeks ago and have done around 700 miles since and in this time I have managed to lose 2 ltrs of oil!! I cant see anything under the car and apart from the occasional bit of smoke on start the car seems to be running fine.

I have searched and can't find a solution for this anywhere. I have booked it in with the stealers for the 21st but not sure I can keep driving it in the mean time.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks in Advance.

Tony.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What model engine size year etc have you got?

If no signs of leaks from the engine only one way for oil to go is via the exhaust, immediate thoughts are worn rings or bad valve oil stem seals letting oil be sucked into the engine past the seals and valve guides. a compression check on all cylinders would be useful to see what state the engine is in.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If its the M54 engine, then you should be checking he Crank Case Ventilation system and the valve cover gasket.
I agree with NZOOZ3,, have had many "Oil Burners" that were "cured" by getting rid of any vacuum leaks first! Yes air leaks. Spray some thing non flammable if possible, or brake cleaner carefully everywhere except the exhaust and listen for a change in the rpms. cure the leak first before delving deep into the engine and your pocket! posative crankcase ventilation system must be working also.
An air leak increases the flow thru the liquid vapour separator in the r/c and the wire mesh cant keep up with the flow so it (oil) gets past and gets burned!!
Basics first .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts