Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
everyone advice please?

serviced my X5 yesterday
Oil
Oil filter
Air filter
New engine breather

get in car today and the temp will not go above 1/3 temperature when driving and when parked up idling will just sit on the blue (see picture)

no engine lights not in limp mode and not throwing any codes!!!!!

im thinking Chuck a new thermostat in it possibly the cause???? What do you think?

Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Car Tachometer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are going to do one stat you may aswell just do both while you are there in my opinion.
I’m thinking of just removing the egr while I’m at it! 🧐 just get rid then put a new thermostat on

only bmw I’ve owed that isn’t engine light happy and it’s playing up and not telling me !!! Typical!!!! 🤦‍♀️😂

·
Registered
BMW E60 530d SE Business Edition
98 Posts
I would take it for a good run at speed see if it does come up to temp, turn your heating off, if its thermostat it will come up to temp under load, just narrows the possibilities. Are you getting hot air thru your heating system, if its only luke warm, again it would point to Stat, if heating gets hot under load again points at Stat. Just few tips before you start pulling her a part.
I say all this as you can get iffy diodes in dash on some cars that will read low, not sure with BMs but i have a Volvo that needs dash repair, as it reads low till you get your toe down, I wasted £ on new stat etc etc, when it didnt need one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Am I going crazy or being thick???
I can’t see an egr thermostat anywhere!!! Even the pipe looks wrong 😑
Does this look like it’s been played around with?
It’s a 56 plate x5 and the M57 engine I believe
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Rim Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
3,734 Posts
Only EU4 versions (with DPF) and auto gearbox have EGR cooler (and thermostat) on E53. You don't have throttle valve either so it's without DPF.

For main thermostat I would recommend to get the original BMW part.

Versions with auto gearbox there is also one thermostat (Nr.4) for gearbox oil heat exchanger but that rarely fails.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only EU4 versions (with DPF) and auto gearbox have EGR cooler (and thermostat) on E53. You don't have throttle valve either so it's without DPF.

For main thermostat I would recommend to get the original BMW part.

Versions with auto gearbox there is also one thermostat (Nr.4) for gearbox oil heat exchanger but that rarely fails.

Thankyou super helpful ✅ and mine is the automatic version

·
Registered
'04 330d Sport Auto, '99 523i SE Saloon
686 Posts
Looks like someone beat you to the EGR cooler delete... handy as thats one less thing to go wrong! If you are taking the manifold off (not necessary to change the stat though) give the swirl flaps a good clean and check for condition and security etc. Unless of course someone has done the swirl flap delete as well, which saves you another job.
Be sure to put the heater up to max and bleed out all the air bubble during the refill process to prevent any air locks. Actual engine running temp can be accessed in the dash cluster menu system, it should sit between 88-90c in normal driving. Best of luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like someone beat you to the EGR cooler delete... handy as thats one less thing to go wrong! If you are taking the manifold off (not necessary to change the stat though) give the swirl flaps a good clean and check for condition and security etc. Unless of course someone has done the swirl flap delete as well, which saves you another job.
Be sure to put the heater up to max and bleed out all the air bubble during the refill process to prevent any air locks. Actual engine running temp can be accessed in the dash cluster menu system, it should sit between 88-90c in normal driving. Best of luck.
Thankyou, so the engine is only getting up to 55 😩😩 so chucking new thermostat ect on and I’ll take manifold off to replace gaskets and be interesting to see what’s been done in there!! The car was in a local bmw main dealer for its last 3 services with previous owner (crazy or he had 2 much money) when I rang them it’s £550 for basic oil service. So someone has looked after it , under the car suspension joints ect are all new ish parts so this X5 has turned into a bit of an obsession now 😇

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Sometimes i only use my x5 once a week and my wife keeps saying sell it.
No chance i love that car.
Just waiting for some snow now see what she has to say then when the shopping trip is on.

·
Super Moderator
3,734 Posts
These EU3 version E53's don't have swirl flaps so there is no need to remove the intake manifold. If you are still going to remove the manifold in this case renew the coolant connector (Nr.9) while you're in there. It's quite typical that these start to leak when they age.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
These EU3 version E53's don't have swirl flaps so there is no need to remove the intake manifold. If you are still going to remove the manifold in this case renew the coolant connector (Nr.9) while you're in there. It's quite typical that these start to leak when they age.

[/
Thanks you , taking it off to have a little look, have new gaskets here which I’ll replace, but it has the smallest of wet oil (see picture)
The car cost me so little don’t mind spending a few quid on it.

Can I ask a question? Gearbox? I know bmw say life time oil ect but should I send it for a service as its
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

1 - 20 of 21 Posts