BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and i eventually got our 2005 320D SE touring in Manchester (a good bit from NI but worth it)

Its a nice spec (not M Sport tho) but it is the grey i wanted, has Xenons, 1/2 leather and 17s.

There are a couple of points im sure the more seasoned members could offer some insight to for me.

1. Low MPG - We are averaging about 35 MPG and i had expected this to be a touch higher. Could this indicate a problem or is it somethign that can be fixed? I havent been driving unnecessarily nuts like.

2. 6th gear "miss" - The good lady reported this to me today and i experienced it too.....when cruising in 6th sometimes at M'Way speeds, an ever so slight miss in power can be felt, like for a split second........any ideas on what that might be?

Look forward to posting ALOT more now...

Thanks in advance

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The slight miss may be down to the EGR, Sprout99 (member here) had the same thing on his 1 series, he said he could almost pre-empt when it was going to happen :hihi

He had his EGR turned down by the dealers as it was causing him problems.

Your MPG, was it going by the OBC(on board computer)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
hmm, that MPG does seem a touch low if you were driving it home on the motorway. I've just driven home a 54 330d se auto touring from Reading (to manchester) and it averaged around 45mpg on the way back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.....i could have swore i put E90 320D in the post title before..... :confused

Anyway, EGR.......thats the Exhaust Gas Recycler right?......anything that i can do there?

Yes Ronnie, that is based on the average of the onboard computer.......30's aint so hot........would LOVE to see 45 tbh.....

Could that be down to the EGR too?

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Try resetting your MPG on the OBC, or work it out using real world figures as the onboard computer isn't 100%. It will be in the owners manual how to reset it.

Once you have done that then keep a eye on it and post back, if still poor especially when motorway driving then will be worth getting a diagnostic check done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, i took a wee snap after reading Sprouts EXTENSIVE thread (jeez, i feel for you man)

I just want to clarify if i have everythign right here

(see attached piccy)

Please correct if i am wrong guys:

The thing i have highlighted in red is the egr system (both parts)

The part with the pink arrow is what would need to be unplugged to stop the EGR system working (to check if this in fact the problem)

The area with the green arrow is what i will need to clean?

Just clarifying our 30 day warranty with the dealer (who is in mainland UK) before the car goes to our local NI BMW house for a check on this

And, sods law......just got a PDC error this morning so now that aint working at all.......flags the error as soon as i put it in reverse :mad

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Disconnecting plug marked with Pink arrow will disable EGR(and bring up a engine fault light,will go out after some time though once reconnected)

The area marked with the green arrow needs to be right more, the EGR valve is the silver alloy cylinder part with the black induction pipe going to it. In your picture it has the wiring loom going over a small part of it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeepers Ronnie, thats a sizeable chunk of metal to hoik off and clean....... :)

Dont think ill touch any of it till the stealership has a look........

Cheers
Andy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts