BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any problems with the tyre sensors if I ditch the run flats. I read somewhere that the sensor is worked off the ABS and the circumference size of the tyre so it does not matter whether the tyres are RFs or not ?

What about grief from ones Insurance company if one ditches the RFs ?

I live in Jersey, CIs so not much of a choice of tyre fitters, one told me he would never fit Falkens to a BMW as they are the cheapest of cheap and not suitable for a BMW.

Rears = 255 / 35 /18 / W
Front = 225 / 40 /18 / W

Any ideas on good tyre for the above ?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Any tyre suitable for any car seen champiro ultra cheap on M5. Fit what you want falken 512's are ok used them before. If you want something cheaper and good kuhmo ku31's cheap and seriously good tyre. Lad at work got them on his 330ci sport on 18's too.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Is your 330i an e90, i.e. latest style ?

If so, the pressure sensor works off the ABS system unlike e46's so will work with conventional tyres.

I was at the Autosport show yesterday and had conversations with a few tyre manufacturers on the very subject. I briefly describe what I was told. I have a keen interest in ditching mine too hence the conversations.

Dunlop/Goodyear
Keep the RFT's as the suspension is designed for the heavier tyre. Seems parochial seeing as they manufacture RFT's.

Toyo
Spoke to a really knowledgeable couple of guys, one of which had worked for both Pirelli and Michelin. He suggested no issues, but did say you would lose a degree of initial turn in due to a softer sidewall, some of which could be dialled out using an XL spec of tyre, and some of which will be dialled out the quicker you go due to e reduction in unsprung weight in theory. Suggested Proxes.

Yokohama.
Similar story, says they are experiencing more and more consumer fed up of RFT's. Said it was a personal choice, you lose 10% turn in maybe, but gain in ride/noise, etc. Suggested Advans.

The one thing it would be worth knowing is whether on the Alpina versions of both the 3 and 5 series, if the springs and dampers differ as they run non RFT's and still score highly on the handling stakes. Can anybody shed light and fact on this on here ?

Mercedes offer RFT's as an option, I wonder if they change any suspension ? On a similar vein, I understand that some 1 series are or will shortly be back on conventional tyres, again, I wonder if there are any suspension changes.

Experience wise, my neighbour went from 18" RFT's on an e60 525d Sport to 19" Falkens on replica M5 staggered rims, and has nothing but praise on the ride, but outright grip not as high, but he expected that given the sub premium positioning.

I have had e-mail correspondence with both Autocar and Evo on the subject to see if they would be interested in running some scientific tests, but no joy. I guess they walk a tight rope as they rely on support from manufacturers in order to exist.

Sorry for the long post folks !

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Not at all Marky boy, very interesting and informative post!

It's clear it's not all clear cut coming off RFTs eh!? Red :)

I reckon its all a big con red !! You have done the right thing, just be good to get some fact together for the unsure members on here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have spoken with my BMW dealer and they have advised that if the car is fitted with non RFT it will invalidate the warranty ?????????

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Chubbs it doesnt matter what you do or say they will wriggle out of any warranty claim.

For example, my front brake discs were warped after 2 weeks of using the car on 90% motorway journeys, lets say 400 miles a week. No excessive driving or anything

Oh that problem is down to wear and tear Mr Adair, it's not covered under waranty. Like F it is I'll wear and tear you a new.... you get the idea. A whole big con.

Your damned if you do and damned if you don't!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have spoken with my BMW dealer and they have advised that if the car is fitted with non RFT it will invalidate the warranty ?????????

Ahhh I had forgotten that I have taken out a 3yr extended warranty with our local Stealer, Jackson's Garage. If I change to non RFs wonder if this will invalidate the warranty.??

Life is so not simple:D

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Ahhh I had forgotten that I have taken out a 3yr extended warranty with our local Stealer, Jackson's Garage. If I change to non RFs wonder if this will invalidate the warranty.??

Life is so not simple:D
Interesting one, I would have thought that if they were being picky they could use that one against any suspension warranty claims only. Given the charecteristics of RFT's I would have thought it would result in less wear on the suspension items. It does give them a loophole though....

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Been to the dealers today. Whilst idling away time waiting for a negative reponse from the service team (just for a change) I noticed that the E60 5 series optional 19" wheels come with non RFT tyres. Talking to the sales guy he informed me that RFT's will shortly be available on this style of wheel for the E60 5 series, both options of RFT and non RFT will be available simultaneously.

I asked about changes to suspension to cope with added weight of tyre and was told there will be none. So it would appear that the oft quoted dealer speak of non RFT's requiring different suspension set up would appear to be tosh ?

Also the warranty argument mentioned earlier goes straight out of the window ?

It would appear that it really is just personal choice. Non RFT's here I come.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Run Flat Tyres

Hello Mark I have just joined the forum and have been reading some of your coments about RFT. My car is a E93 325dSEI (2006) with 11,000 miles. I have had concerns about the drive since I purchased the car new. I have discussed with dealer but have had no satisfaction about changing to non RFT. Lots of information but very mixed on changing to Non RFT on existing rims, can you help me decide, as my car tends to 'wander' even on good surfaces!!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I am very tempted. Even by sticking with premium brands you will save money, improve ride quality, maybe lose some turn in.

Redadair, a member on here has done it. My neighbour went from RFT 18's on an e60 5 series to 19's non RFT's (Falken 452-mid market brand) and it was a revelation.

I also read that Frank Sytner, an ex racer and once owner of the Sytner dealer chain, changes from RFT's at the earliest opportunity on his personal vehicles.

BUT...I have not done it yet, I intend to do so once the rears on mine need replacing when I shall change all 4 away from RFT's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts