BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E90 320d 2005. I have a problem with my electronic steering lock. When I remove the key fob from the hole in the dash, about 70% of the time the steering lock doesn't engage properly and the yellow steering lock warning light appears on the dash and the warning "bong" sounds. If I then turn the steering wheel, the lock will sometimes click into place, but not always. I'm not so worried about the lock not working, but I really could do without the warning light and warning beep. Any thoughts on how I can cure the problem? thanks

·
Registered
616 Posts
is it under warrenty? i know you said you dont mind but i cant stand having something that does'nt work properly, if its there it should work! take it to bmw

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, it's 6 months outside the warranty (although only 43000 miles). Before I take it to BMW and pay out a fortune, I'd be interested in any advice on the forum. But may have to revert to the Bristol BMW dealer.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The 1 series has a problem with the electric steering lock as well, some dealers try a software update and if that doesn't work they replace the column, from the sounds of it you may be looking at a replacement column, you might be lucky and be able to lube up a part of it but otherwise I would brace yourself, you may be lucky and be able to get a goodwill gesture on it which could save you ££££

1 - 4 of 4 Posts