BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought a BMW 120d automatic - 05 reg with 40K miles. I'm getting about 40mpg from very light-footed motoring. I'd expected to get more than that. I went for the diesel for the sake of economy (and the nice torque, of course).

My previous car was a VW Jetta 2.0TDI with DSG gearbox and over the same journey types I'd see about 47mpg, without being so economy minded in driving style, even more on M-way cruising. I'm not often in urban areas/heavy traffic, driving mainly on trunk routes and dual-carriageways and not accelerating hard or running at high speeds.

I know the 120d is a more powerful engine than the VW and the auto box will steal some mpg compared to the DSG, but is 40mpg likely to stay my average with economy-style driving?

What do other 120d auto drivers get as their average mpg?

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Have just checked this thread for you but can only see 123d on the list. But thats giving 46mpg so I presume yours should be better :frown

Specially with such low milage. Has it recently been serviced diesel filter changed etc? This may improve your figures.

Hopefully some 120d owners can give you accurate readings :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
OP, 40mpg average seems about right driving around in the cold weather. I am getting a similar figure, improving on motorway drives. Going to change the oil at the weekend and see if it makes any difference :hihi

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got a 118d E87 on a 54 plate. I've just had a DTUK chip installed (bringing it up to 120 spec) and am getting about 46 mpg.

It was serviced today, so we'll also see if that makes any difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts