BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just bought a 2005 X3 2.0D SE, which I love. However, when I enter the car there is a distinct smell of diesel. It's not so noticeable when I'm driving, but maybe I just get accustomed to it. I've looked under the bonnet, and there is no smell, but if I open the boot I can smell it. I don't think it's exhaust fumes, and I don't think I have a fuel leak.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Regards,
GAH

·
Registered
1 Posts
fumes

Hi there. Just done one of these today on a 3.0 td x5.
The airfilter was covered in soot and the engine was not breathing properly the engine bay was covered in soot and the pollen filter was black as well.
changed them and the smell was almost gone.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi frankoattes,

Thanks for the reply. My engine bay is spotless, you could eat your dinner off it! Found the cabin air filter, it's also very clean (not black at all). Not sure if I have a seperate pollen filter?

Anyone any other ideas?

GAH

·
Registered
649 Posts
Is the filler pipe going into the tank secure, might mean you have to crawl underneath the car to investigate?

I had a similiar problem with a Pug 307, only smelled when I filled right up to the brim, if i only put 3/4 in then all was ok. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tall_Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I've only had the car a week. When I picked it up there was less than a quarter of a tank in it, and I reckon I could smell it then (I assumed it was cleaning fluids I smelled because it had just been valeted). I put £70 into the tank on Friday, and it's definitely been noticeable since then. As I said, if I open the bonnet, there is no smell coming from the engine bay. There are no drips or leaks visible under the car, and the exhaust doesn't smell either. When I'm driving I don't particularly notice it, but once I'm out of the car and then go back inside the car (there is definitely no smell outside the car), it's very noticable. I'l try to look under the car tomorrow, but not too sure what I'll be able to see!

Regards,
GAH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tall_Steve,

The fuel filler is on the driver's side of the car, and I guess it's covered by the rear inner wing. However, there is no smell of diesel coming from the immediate area, or any drips or spills evident where I always park the car overnight (I have a designated parking space).

GAH

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't know whether this helps but a common problem on the X5 3d is cabin fumes and they put it down to a cracked exhaust manifold. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Lizzerum,

Thanks for the reply. I have seen loads of refrences to the problem you mention, and I'm hoping it isn't that!

At the moment I'm trying to figure out any sort of change in the problem, as per Tall_Steve's suggestion of filling up the tank.

Regards,
GAH

·
Registered
183 Posts
cracked manifold is usually common place 0n the 6 cyl diesels.

Its rare on a 4 cyl diesel, but possible

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi perky85,

Thanks for the reply.

I have to say that I don't think the fumes are coming from the engine compartment. If I'm driving and put the blower on full in the cabin, there is no noticeable smell of diesel coming in. I only seem to smell it if the car has been sitting for a while. Also, the fuel tank is virtually empty at the moment and there is really no smell. I'm going to fill the tank tonight, and I'll see if the smell comes back again.

GAH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,

Well, I'm a bit stumped! I filled up the tank, and there's still no smell! For the first week of me having the car, it was really strong. You could smell it as soon as you opened a door. Now there's nothing, and I'm not sure why. I did take out the cabin air fiter and gave it a good clean. Having said that, there was no smell of diesel in the engine compartment, and switching on the air blower in the cabin didn't make it any worse either. The only other thing I've done is loosen off the fuel cap, so it's not screwed into the filler pipe. I'm guessing the fuel cap should allow air into the fuel tank, so I stopped screwing it into the filler pipe in case the air hole was blocked (obviously it's held in place securely when you close the fuel flap). I may well screw it in next time I fill the tank to see it it brings the problem back. However, at the moment, the diesel smell is gone!

GAH

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hi perky85,

Thanks for the reply.

I have to say that I don't think the fumes are coming from the engine compartment. If I'm driving and put the blower on full in the cabin, there is no noticeable smell of diesel coming in. I only seem to smell it if the car has been sitting for a while. Also, the fuel tank is virtually empty at the moment and there is really no smell. I'm going to fill the tank tonight, and I'll see if the smell comes back again.

GAH
Have you had anymore smells :confused

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Tall_Steve,

THanks for the reply. The answer is above your question, but in short, no more smells at the moment!

GAH

·
Registered
81 Posts
if the smell comes back after giving lots of boot cos mine did this but only wen giving it some stick it turned out that i needed to tighten the pipe that feeds the common rail u will need to remove manifold to do properly its a banjo fitting

another way to check is thrash it for 30 miles if it stinks try get to glow plug nearest bulkhead and pull power leed off should be a puddle if it as bad as what mine was

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Bimmernoob,

Never got the smell again. One thing I did though was to wash the over mats in the washing machine. They came up looking like new, but the washing machine stank of diesel! That makes me think the garage spilled some diesel inside my car when prepping it for me picking it up!

GAH

·
Registered
81 Posts
lol just see your last post was a while back now but i hope u laughed cos there nothing werse than a smell u cant find but whats better sounds like u solved it and theres nothing wrong :thumbsup happy ending do come about i had simptoms of bad injectors blowing exhaust pipe and loud tapping noises no fault codes showing it was my maf changed it for the sake of changing and sorted lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts