BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Duing the recent spell of very cold weather and snow, my boot began opening itself. It only happened when I was at very low speed or stopped in traffic. It was as if I had pressed the "boot open" button the remote key (I tried using the spare key but it made no difference and the problem continued), but occasionally the release would continually click open several times at once. It has never happened when the car was locked with the remote. It seems to have stopped doing this, but now the boot doesn't open when I unlock the car with the remote (previously it did). I need to press the "boot open " button on the remote to open it now. Does anyone have any idea how or wht this happened, and how I can get back to the boot opening as normal when I open the car?

GAH

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 56 X3 did a similar thing a few weeks after we bought it, the boot would randomly open then after a while stopped opening at all. It ended up having to go back to the dealers to get the boot lock mechanism replaced, has been fine since.

Chris

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Does sound like as Chris mentions, the boot mechanism, water can get into them and ruin the electrics hence needing a new one. Would also be worth checking you aren't getting any water into the spare wheel/space saver area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I will have a look at the mechanism, and check the surrounding area for water.

Regards,
GAH

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have recently had exactly the same problem on my X5.

The microswitches inside the boot handle had failed ( think one had been faulty for a while ) . One had collapsed internally and was occasionally going short circuit and opening the boot. Others have apparently had water ingress in the boot handle and have successfully dried it out with a hairdryer .

You can prove / disprove this by removing the 4 torx screws along the bottom of the boot handle and unplug the 4 way connector . Close the boot and see if the problem still occurs. You can still unlatch it using the key . That's assuming the X3 is similar in construction to the X5

A new boot handle for the X5 from the dealer is about £109 unpainted and £170 ish painted .

I cut the back off mine using a Dremel and cutting discs and replaced the two microswitches ( Maplin ) and resealed it with epoxy resin.

Problem solved

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi marlin758,

Thanks for that info. I will have a look at the boot handle tomorrow. I have looked in the spare wheel area, and it's totally dry.

GAH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts