BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Yes and Yes. A couple of us have sprayed the existing - chipping off can be a problem. Black or CF ones are on E-Bay for about £60. I sprayed my side thingys matt black a while back and that worked fine as they're not exposed to road blast.

Both ar eeasy to remove/refit - preparation is key and the use of the correct plastic paint.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i bought black shadow chrome ones on ebay, and sent them back as the fit is poor and the clips break...

im now wrapping mine

·
Registered
120 Posts
got to say i liked the look of the shadowchrome and went well with black. shame the mould wasnt perfect!

no but worth a try, im just doing the surround and leaving the grills as they are.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
i bought black shadow chrome ones on ebay, and sent them back as the fit is poor and the clips break...

im now wrapping mine
That's bad luck, was it a UK seller? I bought mine of this chap and now he's got some black chrome ones in stock and they look pretty cool :cool

These are the exact ones that I have - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-NEW-E63-E64-BLACK-KIDNEY-GRILLS-6-SERIES-M6-/330466481064?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf15653a8 and I've had no issues

And these are new ones from the same seller which look really nice: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-NEW-E63-E64-BLACK-CHROME-KIDNEY-GRILLS-6-SERIES-M6-/360321560939?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e4d6b16b

·
Registered
120 Posts
yup, the same chap. nice guy etc.

same grills too, was going to keep the surround and use the original grills but the grills and surround are one piece...

shame cos the look was nice.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi Shaz25,

I was looking at the exact same ones Lewy has pointed out (black chrome), did you order these exact ones?
What was the problem? could it have been a bad batch? Don't want to order them just to send them back again if no good!

Matt

·
Registered
120 Posts
guys they are the same ones i got and yeah they do look nice!

BUT..... the fit isnt great and mine wouldnt go in fully (stuck out by 2mm as the clips wont engage) and the clips are really soft compared to the originals and can break. not only that, they are so soft you can probably have them stolen in 10 seconds like a fiesta.

i was going to keep them and just use the surround with original, but its all one piece.

i got my originals wrapped over the week end instead.........

:0

·
Platinum BFuk Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guys they are the same ones i got and yeah they do look nice!

BUT..... the fit isnt great and mine wouldnt go in fully (stuck out by 2mm as the clips wont engage) and the clips are really soft compared to the originals and can break. not only that, they are so soft you can probably have them stolen in 10 seconds like a fiesta.

i was going to keep them and just use the surround with original, but its all one piece.

i got my originals wrapped over the week end instead.........

:0
where did you get that done?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
230 Posts
adam

diy mate, its not that hard , i done mine . and i am to diy what my wife is to cooking :shifty::shifty: make sure she cant see that :lol

·
Platinum BFuk Member
230 Posts
i used 3m di noc carbon fibre .... really easy to work with.

ebay i think i got mine. google 3m di noc

any probs get back to me .. i'll find you some

or just type car wrap/vinyl into the bay

·
Registered
52 Posts
i used 3m di noc carbon fibre .... really easy to work with.

ebay i think i got mine. google 3m di noc

any probs get back to me .. i'll find you some

or just type car wrap/vinyl into the bay
3m DI-NOC yeah baby:thumbsup ............ I did mine myself:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks good! How big a sheet did you use and any tips? Does it look as neat at the rear?:applause
TBH I bought a job lot as a friend also wanted his interior doing on his M3. I'll have a look at the nesting drawing I made up at work tomorrow and PM you if you like?
As for the rear of the grills, they never look neat due to the compound shapes that are generally wrapped. Don't get me wrong, its not a dogs dinner but then again its not the presentation side either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
TBH I bought a job lot as a friend also wanted his interior doing on his M3. I'll have a look at the nesting drawing I made up at work tomorrow and PM you if you like?
As for the rear of the grills, they never look neat due to the compound shapes that are generally wrapped. Don't get me wrong, its not a dogs dinner but then again its not the presentation side either.
I also did my roof:thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
230 Posts
very nice mate. cant beat di noc.... how easy was that to work with :D:D:D

i done my front grilles. didnt bother with the slats , but loooking at yours i may well do it.

i also done the front fog light surrounds and the conv. lid cover .

and still looking what to do next , very tempted to do the piano black interior, but we will see

·
Registered
52 Posts
very nice mate. cant beat di noc.... how easy was that to work with :D:D:D

i done my front grilles. didnt bother with the slats , but loooking at yours i may well do it.

i also done the front fog light surrounds and the conv. lid cover .

and still looking what to do next , very tempted to do the piano black interior, but we will see
It wasn't too bad to work with, its thicker than the Scotchal 85 3M stuff so its not as pliable. Quality is the same though, the only thing you need to watch out for is heating it up too much and streching the weave pattern. Apart from that its pretty good.
But the slats did take me ages as they're fiddly little buggers:hihi

1 - 20 of 27 Posts