BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

When I give my 535 a really good thrashing the engine power is reduced drastically,goes into limp mode! It will drive normally but with no grunt! As soon as I switch off and switch on again it resets!

Any ideas??

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Could be a faulty MAP sensor, this is located at the rear of the inlet manifold.

Having the car diagnostic scanned should confirm any relevant errors :thumbsup

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,
Thanks again for ur replies. Had the codes read........4 glow plugs not working and turbo de-activation! My guy says it could be map sensor or mas air flow sensor. We will see what the main dealer says tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Wouldn't worry too much about the glow plugs as they're only used in temperatures lower than (iirc) 5 degs.

My money's still on the MAP sensor, hope you're sat down when the $tealers give you a quote :frown

GL :thumbsup

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks slowtech. just got a price from the dealer for what he thought was the map sensor.....£33.80!! That sound right to you?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just searching through previous posts regarding this issue and found this thread.

Mine goes into limp mode but only if I give it beans and when it reaches a certain speed which I shalln't name. If I only give it half throttle then it just goes and goes without going into limp mode.

I had my codes checked which came back with a over boosting code plus something else so had the waste gate solenoid valve changed and boost pressure sensor but still no joy (£254 in total)

Do you think this could be the MAP sensor or Mass air flow?

Cheers

·
Registered
445 Posts
Both cases almost definitely split vacuum hose. The 535d kills the vacuum hoses because they're routed around the turbo and exhaust manifold.

Overboost means the vacuum control of the wastegate is gone, car will enter limp mode when booted very hard, say 130mph, foot to the floor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My garage says that the vacuum hoses are fine...? I told them to check them but could I be getting ripped off when it's a simple fix?

·
Registered
445 Posts
My money is still on the vacuum hoses, however there are a couple of vacuum pressure converter units and these can fail so that would be my next port of call. From the fault you describe the problem is the wastegate failing to open.

The pressure converters (I can't remember the correct name) are not expensive and are plumbed into the vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really appreciate your advice on this which I shall pass on later on today. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
where exactly & how many vac hoses guys? its a bit of a busy engine bay but changing glow plugs soon and want to check over

·
Registered
267 Posts
With the cover off you can't miss them. Mainly run on the left hand side to the turbos, but a couple are very awkward to get at, they also run round to the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hi Jason

Is the vacuum hose problem on 535d's just affecting the E60's or will/could it affect the F10's as well ???

thanks

Digby

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Jason

Is the vacuum hose problem on 535d's just affecting the E60's or will/could it affect the F10's as well ???

thanks

Digby
I haven't seen the engine bay of an F10 535d but I suspect the engine isn't much different. The problem primarily affects the E60/E61 535d because braided rubber hoses are used to supply vacuum to 3 actuators (IIRC) and these are all around the turbo and therefore the exhaust and exhaust manifold.

Three actuators are needed to control the two turbos and make them work together. A single turbo (in other engines) doesn't need as much plumbing.

Anyway with all that small bore rubber tubing around a red hot exhaust manifold it's no wonder the hoses perish over time. However a swap to silicone is cheap (in terms of tubing) and a pretty permanent fix because silicone tube has a far higher temperature resistance than rubber.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts