BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've recently bought another 535d and after owning a few I know the problems these engines can suffer from, this particular one I've bought has high mileage. On my other 535d which had done 120k I cleaned the inlet manilfold and egr valve with caustic soda, there was so much build up of oil and carbon. After cleaning those two items they were like brand new and the car ran so much smoother. I've decided to do the same thing on my new car and I've got it stripped down a little further this time, I've taken the valve cover off this time as I'm going to clean this as well. While I'm at it I thought I may as well clean the inlet tracks in the cylinder head but I'm not sure how to go about it, I've done allot of reading about "piston soaking" but I'm not sure if this is the right route nor what to use, most of the reading I've done was from the states. Is it possible to fill those ports with diesel and allow to soak for a few hours and then clean afterwards? I've got an airline to blow all the crap out.

Here's some pictures of where I'm up to so far.

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just had to replace monifold reciently and I took a screw driver and Hoover to inside vents . There's a tread on here for it with pictures.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I ended up doing. The carbon doesn't stick to aluminium as much as it does the plastic. I used a screwdriver to clean the head inlet ports which left dry loose particles which I hoovered up by sticking a short length of hose pipe in the hoover attachment. It made a total mess of the hose and hoover attachment, most likely the rest of the hoover but hey ho. The results from doing this are pretty good considering how easy it is to do.

Cylinder Head Cover:

Head Cover 1st.jpg Head Cover 2nd.jpg

Cylinder Head Ports:

Head Inlet 1st.jpg Head Inlet 2nd.jpg

2nd photo taken before hoovering out the debris. After hoovering I attached an old school bottle brush to a cordless drill and cleaned the rest with that and some carb cleaner. Should have taken another photo.

Swirl Flap Inlet Ports:

Inlet Swirl 2nd.jpg Inlet Swirl 1st.jpg

Main Inlet Port:

Inlet Main 2nd.jpg Inlet Main 1st.jpg

I can't comment on how much a difference this has made because I still have more jobs to do, however the result can only be positive.

·
Registered
336 Posts
when you are doing the inlet tracts in the head you need to be really careful to not let the smut you scrape off drop into the combustion chamber!
paul

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The deposits on the inlet tracks on the cylinder head came off easily enough, but as e61paul said you need to be careful that none of it falls into the combustion chamber. I can't guarantee that I got everything out, although it did scrape off in big chunks. Ideally blowing it out with an airline would be much better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts