BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should start this rant by saying i am a BMW enthusiast, and have been for years. I have owned lots of 3 series from the E30, through E36's (i also have an M3 Evo convertible at the moment and a Z3) and now onto the E60.

I bought my 2005 E60 535d M-Sport about 6 weeks ago and it's been nothing but a PITA since i got it! It refuses to run consistently, and recently the power has dissapeared altogether (its now struggling to get past 50mph!). It started by 'running out of puff' when you went to overtake on the motorway and didnt seem to want to rev past about 3500rpm.

Diagnosis keeps showing DPF blocked, exhaust backpressure too high and "small turbo control pressure deviation".

I've renewed every one of the vacuum hoses, fitted a new small turbo solenoid, a new DPF, tested all the turbo & changeover valve actuations (i have GT1). I fully serviced it as soon as i got it, its had the swirl flaps removed, a new DPF but still wont go. :banghead

Any ideas before i start looking for the matches..... ? I hate this damn thing and it's the most troublesome infuriating bloody car i've ever had the misfortune to own. For two squirts i'd take it somewhere and torch it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will it rev over 3500 in neutral mate? Sounds fueling related. have you had the codes read again since changing all those bits?
Yep, time and time again it comes up with blocked DPF and high exhaust backpressure (hence fitted the new DPF today), and a small turbo control pressure deviation fault.

Not sure about the reving, although i have seen it rev to 4K+ when pulling away with my toe-down in 1st (its an auto so i assume its first). It seemed to be high-speed/engine RPM related, like the amount of exhaust gas was getting 'stuck' in the exhaust because of the DPF and choking the engine, but i've changed the DPF and now its worse!!

Forgot to mention that the coolant was always cold which is why the old DPF was blocking up (wasnt regenerating) but i've cured this with a new main AND EGR thermostat. This thing is turning into a rolling restoration the amount of parts i'm putting in this damn thing - i'm sick of it! And thats before i even get round to whining about the supertanker-like fuel consumption.....

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sorry to read that, the fuel consumption on them isn't that bad when they're going properly. Mine returns mid 30's on a run and upper 20's / low 30's round town.

I don't have any suggestions as to what your faults might be but have you had them reset in the ECU since changing the faulty parts?

When going properly they're awesome cars, but I feel your pain.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Have you checked back pressure sensor.

If this is faulty it will read as DPF blocked.

Reactions: Ronnie

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked back pressure sensor.

If this is faulty it will read as DPF blocked.
I've done (yet) more work on it this evening - replaced the fuel filter (it was only 4 weeks old but thought i'd rule it out), checked & cleaned the DPF temp sender probe, re-checked all the vac hoses and taken it for another test drive.
It goes ok'ish up to about 40 then begins to bog down - like "driving through wet cement" as someone else described it. On the motorway as soon as you get it up to 70 (eventually), there is no more to be had - put your foot down and the box drops down but the revs wont go over 3800 and you dont gain any speed! The slightest incline and it starts slowing down and no amount of throttle or gear changing improves things.

On a slight tanget - if you just remove the DPF, why do you need the ecu software 'adjusted'? What will it do if you dont? Surely it will just never regenerate as there would be next to naff-all backpressure to trigger it?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Do E60 have the pre supply pump located under passenger seat? A faulty one wont let the car rev pass 3500 rpm also known not to show up on fault codes. Just a thought.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
781 Posts
Has the MAF been changed?
I was thinking that too, symptoms sound identical to the problems I was having with a Merc a few years ago and they turned out to be MAF related..................but why would it not show up as a fault, instead showing DPF faults and what not?

·
Registered
316 Posts
As a very happy 535 driver I can only sympathise with your understandable frustration. To me the evidence still points to a blocked/constricted exhaust so assuming the dpf change was done correctly and no extraneous parts or debris left in, and the CAT is not blocked from the DPF rubbish, then I would look at the small electrical valve right at the back of the exhaust system, part number 11747810831 on REALOEM.com. I can't see the small turbo affecting the higher revs/speed power this significantly and I feel sure you would see/feel other smoke and symptoms if the large turbo was playing up. That said when I removed my swirl vanes I didn't fit the large inlet pipe (just to the right of the front of the engine) correctly as I got the wire clip in the wrong place, and the performance was absolutely flat (struggled to get to 70) but no warnings came up at all! Good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
MAF is not a critical value on the newer E90/E60 cars as fuelling is run from lambda rather than MAF.

What is the pressure before the DPF and after the DPF, should give you these values with GT1 and have you tried a forced generation ?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Forced regen (even with a new one) or look to see if you have anything under retrofit for the DPF.

Once the system has a full DPF, it waits to be told via diagnostics that it is empty. The idea is to stop people unplugging the sensors, or trying to fool it into thinking it's clear. The last time It seen the DPF, it was full of soot, and it has decided there is too much to start a regen so it must be changed.

Clearing the codes won't reset the system yet, but a forced regen might, or finding whatever setting there is for a new DPF fitted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, bit more history and an update.

Previously, when i got the first problems and 'DPF blocked' fault code, and found out the price of a new one, i decided to remove it and check it out before forking out a second mortgage to renew it.

It was fairly sooty (no doubt caused by the thermostat issues which have since been changed), so i cleaned it out by giving it a blow out with compressed air (inside my blast cabinet with extraction), and then a quick jet-wash. On refitting performance was drastically improved, but it soon went flat again with no top end pull. Still wont rev past ~3800rpm.

I was just considering my new move when bless my lucky stars a, and i quote, "brand new & unused DPF for BMW 535d" appeared on a certain aution site (still had the BMW stickers on the outside). Well i won the auction and fitted the 'new' filter last night and thats when i started getting the "it wont go over 45mph" problem. Looking on GT1 at the backpressure values they were sky-high:

@idle speed, 529mBar (limit is 60mBar)
@ 2000rpm 949mBar (limit is 150mBar)

So, i swapped the DPF back to my old one and the car is much better but now i'm back to square-one with no top end pull or revs over 70mph.

@idle 60.9mBar (limit 60mBar)
@2000rpm 212mBar (limit 150 mbar)

So, it would appear that i have a DPF issue. I have tried a forced regen, taken it for long motorway cruises etc but it doesnt seem to want to start a regen.

I have also just ordered a new pressure converter sensor to rule that out, but i think the problem is the DPF severely restricting flow and choking the engine.

Not sure what to do next as i'm not paying £1511 + VAT for a new filter to find it blocks up in 2 weeks! I might just drill a big hole through the middle of the DPF substrate and see if that works :hihi

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 525d was due a DPF change at the end of last year and I looked very seriously at removing it altogether or finding a cheaper solution. A BMW supplied unit was around £1200 without fitting.

I was advised by my friendly local independent BMW experts in Southampton against anything other than a new replacement unit as they had seen too many problems with trying DPF delete workarounds or 'cleaning' the unit. Once furred up the catalyst is beyond regeneration and while you may get a short term improvement on refitting it after washing out it will quickly block again.

Is it possible the 'new' DPF you got on the aution site had just been superficially washed out?

They sourced me a new DPF for around £550 through GSF car parts I believe - total cost including fitting and a new MOT was about £700.

Happily, this should last another 120k miles.

Hang in there - it sounds like you are getting to the root cause finally!

Euan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check this out on ebay it number is 280619689128 could help.
Not sure which way to jump now, i'm not forking out £1500+ for a genuine one, so that leaves me with:

• DPF delete (but i dont want to drive a smoky old bus every time i stick my toe down), and still a bit pricey with the software etc
  • a second-hand DPF from a breakers that may not be any better than the one i've got
  • a pattern part which may not be much cop!
What would you guys do?

On a similar note, i've been trying to work out why you need the software adjusted after removing the DPF. As far as i know (and i could be well of target here...) the DPF regenerates when the back-pressure sensor 'tells' the ECU that the DPF is getting blocked. When the pressure increases, the DPF regenerates burning the crud out of the filter and reducing the backpressure at which point the ECU turns off the regen cycle. So, if you remove the DPF surely the sensor never records an increase in pressure and therefore never regenerates? Surely removing the DPF is just like having a constantly new DPF in terms of backpressure etc? What am i missing?

·
Registered
450 Posts
It might be the air mass flow mate. I had the same prob with my 320D SE.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the exhaust after the DPF and taking some pressure readings with the car running?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts