BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if Bio Fuel, or more precisely Veg oil can be used in my car, I ran my ST mondeo on it for 3 years (half and half, diesel and veg oil) with no worries but know that it doesn't suit all cars / engine etc

Ideas welcome fellas as Tesco has a promo on with Veggie at 90p per litre :hihi

·
Banned
179 Posts
why dont you try it and let us know how you get on:cool

·
Banned
179 Posts
didnt think it was going to be what you wanted to hear
but somebody has to get the ball rolling :thumbsup

·
Registered
97 Posts
From what I've read, modern common rail diesels don't like pure veg oil at all, while in the winter the oil goes very stodgy and tends to knacker fuel pumps due to theback pressure build up. Would be interesting to try it though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there is a really good forum which I was a member of in my diesel days

I think this is the one

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php
Some very interesting stuff on that site, looking at the pressures in the common rail due to the difference in viscosity it's not suitable for my car unless it has been converted to proper BioFuel by methanol treatment.

Worth taking a look though as I would've liked to boot her everywhere without the 20 mpg price tag

Cheers emphasis
Steve

·
Banned
179 Posts
Some very interesting stuff on that site, looking at the pressures in the common rail due to the difference in viscosity it's not suitable for my car unless it has been converted to proper BioFuel by methanol treatment.

Worth taking a look though as I would've liked to boot her everywhere without the 20 mpg price tag

Cheers emphasis
Steve
something wrong there bro
when i drive mine like a taxi ,,and i mean "taxi" around the doors all the time ,,i get 30.7 mpg
yours should be doing way more than 20mpg,under all circumstances
unless your on the top gear track

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use to use bio fuel all the time and pure veg oil as well in summer but would never put it in my BMW. Even if the viscosity is the same NO!!! They use methanol and caustic to sort it for use. The car I had was a Toyota Land Cruiser and it went just fine on the stuff.
The reason I would say no to it is simply this. I believe the fuel pump pressures on the rail go up to 50,000 psi and the fuel pump on the engine block is worth lots of money ie over £1000. If the seals go in it through shoving bio fuel in because of the methanol content of the fuel it could cost lots to fix. I have heard that bio fuel can eat fuel seals. Older oil burners go well with the stuff but new posh injection systems that cost the earth to fix. Its your choice at the end of the day but if you want to use the stuff get an old motor to do with and save the BMW for quality fuels only.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
something wrong there bro
when i drive mine like a taxi ,,and i mean "taxi" around the doors all the time ,,i get 30.7 mpg
yours should be doing way more than 20mpg,under all circumstances
unless your on the top gear track
I've just finished my first tank full and it returned 415 miles, 26.9 mpg and that's mostly around town and humping it but giving it large it drops below 20 and sits there until I lift the lead foot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use to use bio fuel all the time and pure veg oil as well in summer but would never put it in my BMW. Even if the viscosity is the same NO!!! They use methanol and caustic to sort it for use. The car I had was a Toyota Land Cruiser and it went just fine on the stuff.
The reason I would say no to it is simply this. I believe the fuel pump pressures on the rail go up to 50,000 psi and the fuel pump on the engine block is worth lots of money ie over £1000. If the seals go in it through shoving bio fuel in because of the methanol content of the fuel it could cost lots to fix. I have heard that bio fuel can eat fuel seals. Older oil burners go well with the stuff but new posh injection systems that cost the earth to fix. Its your choice at the end of the day but if you want to use the stuff get an old motor to do with and save the BMW for quality fuels only.
I agree mate just thought i'd inquire

·
Registered
238 Posts
my bro used it in his a few yrs back, think he had to use norm derv every 5 tanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would find a local biodiesel retailer/supplier and try it.

My car ran fine with it, was a 2001 320d. Smelt beautiful as well, wasnt like chips but was defnitly a distinct smell from normal derv, sometimes when im around town i get the odd whiff of it, I think it must be the black cabs.

That forum has a lot of users, just ask whos running your car and see the feedback on it.

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts