BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks
Dumb question time again
When I bought the car a few weeks ago, the previous owner (from new) stated that it had an alarm, and as far as I know all 530d models from 2003 were fitted with a car alarm as standard.
I emailed him and he said that the dealer stated it had an alarm.
From some research on the web I've come to the conclusion that mine has gone awol. (or someone nicked it. ha)
I looked in the area in the headlining just in front of the rear seat downlights and it's empty. I looked in the engine bay for a bonnet switch and found...nothing. I locked the car and waited a few minutes and rocked it. Nothing happened. Also most telling is that it has no clown nose on the rear view mirror. So I guess mine is alarmless.
Or (clutching at straws) it's well hidden and not activated.
I have read that it might live in the wheelarch area. see
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1487.
This looks like the system should be, but might be leading me up the wrong road as this is the 3 series.
My car has a reasonable spec. Sat nav pro, heated seats, auto gbox, etc so I can't imagine that after adding these extras the previous owner wouldn't insist on an alarm system.
As a side note whilst looking in the headlining there was only one cable to the aft passenger lighting. If the alarm is to fit there I would have expected there be another prewired cable for the alarm ultrasonic module.
Any help gratefully received and ideas of cost for a O.E.M. retrofit, or more suitable alarm that others recommend.
Regards
Greg

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
This sounds very odd? Everything that an alarm normally has sounds to be missing:confused

Perhaps your car does not have an alarm and just relies on the EWS immobiliser system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply, I came to the same conclusion and am looking into aftermarket system. Any recommendations from anyone?
I don't need the window closing function as the car has it, and not really interested in the engine start function. Just need a ultrasonic unit easily fitted with an indicator to show it's armed, and a small key fob.

I am also thinking of fitting a GPS locator
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380080716915

does anyone have any experience with these or recommend better?

Many thanks in advance
Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.