BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, hope you can help me out here.

You may remember a while back I replaced all 4 corners and got rid of the pesky RFTs, Changed to all Goodyear Eagle F1 same size all 245 / 40 / 18s I believe. Was happy with them when i put some more pressure in them. Now the thing is, I got my wheels aligned just before that cos i did kerb it at speed (rear nearside), my fault and paid up for the alignment check, which made a big difference and the thing was way out.

Recently I have noticed at low speeds (40 mph for example), the steering wheel is a kink (tiny bit) off centre to the right, and wanders to the right. Previously I remember it wandering to the left and thought it may be camber related or something. It is even more noticable at motorway speeds I have to sit the wheel a tad off centre to keep going straight.

I still get the rear end sliding out affect (no where near as bad as when I had RFTs) when crossing painted lines but have only noticed that at the 40 mph speeds recently, I have not went over any pot holes since i got the alignment and have not kerbed it as it is only me who is driving it and not the misses.

Now a couple of other posts got me thinking, I think i have still got all the original suspension bits and bobs from new. Would it be worth upgrading them to the powerflex stuff? Or do you think there are simpler tests to do before I start spending money?

Sorry for the long story, any help gratefully recieved. Red!

I'm wanting to get this sorted before i get my remap done, so it's running straight and true if you know what i mean.
Sorry forgot to mention 55K miles on the clock.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i sold a 6mth old demo lexus gs300 se-l in november from my work, for some reason the steering was doing the exact same as yours, i put the car through 5 different wheel alignments, and still no joy, i even had the steering realigned, put it still pulled, in the end i had a full geometry and chassis alignment done, which showed some of the rear suspension components where out (probably caused by one of my salesmen kerbing the wheels) to be honest i tried kwik-fit, rsr,and a few other companys, in the end only lexus could sort the problem, so might be worth getting it into bmw but be prepared for the cost, the lexus was a few £££ to fix

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sh*t man, thanks for the feedback oliver.

I would rather travel and pay a reputable indy to do it and upgrade any suspension components with something like powerflex rather than stock bmw, if they need doing that is....

Hmm food for thought tho, kerbing could cause such a serious problem..... I just know BMW will have a field day with me since I have changed the car to non RFTs.

Cheers! Red!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Red - had my car alignment done after the mot - as the NSF tyre was wearing badly on the inside - the alignment was out - so it was adjusted and now my steering wheel is off centre to the left and if I correct it then the car will wander at any speed. If i take my hands off of the wheel the car it does go in a straight line - should it wander at this point it can be something as simple as the camber in the road or that the front tyres have uneven pressure in them. At worst suspension components.

When they carry out a wheel alignment they should have two people doing it - one to basically hold the steering wheel still and the other to make whatever adjutments are needed. Unfortunately they normally have one person doing the whole lot and they assume the steering wheel will stay in position but it never does.

As you say Red - er take it to BMW and you will be wandering to the bank.......

·
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
many thanks people, food for thought. You're spot on Mtec tho I can;t remember if it wanders when I let go of the wheel. I will double check this and tyre pressures too. And I know for a fact it is only one person at a time on laser alignement, they trap the wheel with a clamp tho do they not?

Yeh know oliver i was contemplating getting my allows refurbed, i wonder if they would be careful and good about spotting wheel issues....

Nice idea Neal, will hunt for a local who does that. Tho the time BMW charged me 200 for a KDS alignment the floomin thing was way off and never road tested - tho they claim they teste it.

As you can see I don't have a big up for my homies at BMW franchise :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
yep thats the one red - they clamp the wheel - my theory is that no matter how hard they try I do not think the clamp works and the steering wheel moves when they start to adjust. Sometimes there is a requirement for a two man job - next time I go in I will ask for alignmentman and clampman!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.