BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Am I right in thinking that as there are a pair of wires going to each windscreen washer jet that they are heated? If so.....how come every damn morning (due to the great british weather at the mo!) I have to drive around untill about mid day untill the wahsers will work. When they do work there fine, not blocked, plenty of pressure etc. How does the washer heaters get activated? Do they heat automatically when you push the wash wipe stalk?

They tend to freeze up and stop working when your driving in cold conditions too, and on Monday night I have to do a 400mile trip up to Glasgow so windscreen washers are a must!!

If it does make a difference, I dont have the HID lights and headlamp washers.

Thanks in advance

Karl:mad

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
IIRC they are controlled by the Heater control panel, I believe they come on every time you turn the ignition on just like the heated mirrors.

Check if your mirrors heat up when the ignition is turned on :thumbsup

Could you remember to use a descriptive title also next time, helps others on the forum :thumbsup, I've added one for you :cool

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ronnie

Sorry about the title, I realised that after and wasnt sure how to ammend or add to it, but thanks. The mirror IIRC work and de ice fine, as does the rear window. Everything else on the car works fine.

Many Thanks

Karl

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
In that case try disconnecting the plugs to the washer jets and using a test light check for power(voltage) at the wires, if you have voltage then you have knackered jets

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Do you use any additives in your screen wash ?

It has been very cold this last couple of weeks, bear in mind the wind chill factor of travelling at 70mph then the heated jets have a lot of work to do. I have had one morning of frozen jets this last week, even with an additive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts