BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '05 E60 530D with 38K on the clock. I'm only getting 24 mpg., albeit on short journeys,(iDrive set to UK gals), and I've discovered that it takes quite a while to get any great heat through the heating system. I took the car for a run this morning, and after 2mls. checked the top radiator hose, and it was warm, not hot hot, but warm. Am I correct in thinking that it should still have been cold to touch, in which case, is it an indication that the stat is duff?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The top hose would be warm and lower hose cold if thermo was stuck shut or thermo hadn't opened yet due to coolant still being cool.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Ronnie - I expected the top hose to remain cold until the stat opened, and felt that the stat was possibly staying open , and thereby allowing the engine to run cooler/ taking longer to reach proper temperature.
Just on the point of interest, if the stat was shut, surely there shouldn't be any heat at all on the top hose? - or have I got that wrong?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If the stat was closed then there should be heat on the top rad hose after time and cold on the lower rad hose.

Has the coolant level ever got low since you have owned the car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has the coolant level ever got low since you have owned the car?
No, I've never had to top it up at all.

If the stat was closed, fully, in engine cold condition, how would it be possible for the top hose between the stat and the radiator to become warm?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts