BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I live in France and the locals do not tend to give a **** about their or any one elses car. They have a habit of banging their ancient peugeot 504 or similar doors into my car I need to try to protect them from getting dinged. Does anyone know of a discreet protective strip that can be applied. I know it will look bad but so does a series of dents running along the length of the car, and it will help me not to punch the ignorant frenchie.
Or maybe you have a better idea
Many thanks in advance
Greg
btw. it doesn't help that the car is black

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
man, sorry to hear that Greg, i can't stand people who act like that. I see it in shopping car parks all the time and my own f'n neighbours aren't much better.

nfortunately I have no idea of how to combat the frenchies apart from maybe a can of deodarant (I hear they don't like the stuff).

Welcome to the club by the way, nice car you have picked there (I have the same!) Red :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is a particular pet hate of mine - door dings and the people that cause them - i suppose of late I have been able to use the mother and baby spaces in shopping centres etc.... dunno if they have them in France...and the shape of your car (and Reds) lends itself to door dings really standing out....I really do not know what to suggest.....sorry....

·
Registered
401 Posts
might be worth going into a diy store and having a look at bash resistant strips, i have seem some before where its a long strip, bout half inch wide but you cut it of however long you want it and its only a few mill deep, i think it was to stop surfaces rubbing together and causing wear. if a decent one is found it should just look like a normal bump strip, otherwise your only option really is to have the doors fabricated to take strips wich is gunna be costly again if done right would make it look stock.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Hope you find something, let us know.

TBH punching a Frenchie is not a bad option whether you find a solution or not.

I floated an idea on another forum which was met with an encouraging response. Lots of peolple who care about their cars worry when parking. The idea was to develop a considerate parker scheme, whereby you can be identified by a fluorescent sticker on the bottom corner of your numberplate thereby encouraging similar people to park next to you. What do you reckon folks ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for your replies guys
I will check out the realoem.com ones, as the diy shops here are not as good as UK.
Although I live in France I work in Italy, so as you can imagine these are a necessity.
Thanks again
Greg

·
Registered
152 Posts
What I tend to do when im in the M5 or the Zed is park as far away from the shop as possible that way no-one parks beside you as they are too lazy to walk the extra 50 yards to the supermarket.

Also try parking across 2 spaces its just like giving yourself an extra wide parking bay.

HTH

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have an idea...

I hate people who do this, I find its usually those in newer cars that do it (because credit has been easier to get so people care less about looking after cars).

anyway, what you need is a series of push button type switches on the side of the car, then the bump strip over that.

Next up, wire the switches to a series of propane based canisters, any flammable gas will do. Have the outlets lined up pointing about 45 degrees up. You then need to wire the switches to a series of release valves for the gas (alá NOS systems) with a spark plug at each nozzle.

Before you know it, people will stop doing it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.