BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

This is my first post on the forum so would like to say a big hello to everyone :)

I have been reading lots of posts on this forum which have helped me out a lot during the first few weeks of ownership of an E60 530d sport and cure a problem I had...

First week of ownership was fantastic until starting the car early one frosty morning, it started up fine then after about 30 seconds there was a 'bing' from the idrive then up popped 'Charing fault' followed by 'Check battery terminals' then 'Transmission failure' 'RunFlat failure' & 'DSC Failure' messages :eek

I turned the car off and went round to the boot to check the battery terminals which where all nice and tight, so got back in started it up and it was fine, all the messages had gone and no faults on the i drive any more so off i went.

a couple of days went by with no more messages appearing on the idrive then one night on my way home from work i got 'Charing fault' but nothing else. then it went away. when i got home i checked the battery voltage which was 12.75v with the engine off, and 14.39v with it running. I left the car over night and checked the battery voltage in the morning which had dropped down to 11.89v.

I bit the bullet and brought a bosch battery, replaced the old one and the car was perfect for the rest of the week... until another cold morning and all the messages appeared on the idrive again!. I checked the battery again with the engine running it this time the alternator was not charging as the voltage was 11.75v dropping down rather quickly then i heard a slight change in rev's and the alternator started to charge the battery :shifty:

All was well for another couple of days until it was cold one morning again, it did the same as above. so i decided to replace the alternator, since doing so i have not had another warning message from the idrive. So it would appear the old alternator was charging when it felt like it :jaw-dropping

The old alternator did look like it had some oil split or dripped onto and inside it as some point as it had that dirty oily muck look about it

So to cut a long story short, a new battery and alternator has cured my early morning wake up call from the idrive with heart stopping warning messages of transmission failure :thumbsup

Hope this may be of some help to others

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

6am -4 degree journey this morning, glow plug symbol came up for a couple of seconds (i've only seen this when its around 2 degree's or below, i think that is correct?) fired engine up let it warm up for a bit and still no error/warning messages :thumbsup

Before changing the battery and alternator, if i saw glow plug symbol on a cold morning and after firing the engine up this is when the idrive would go nuts with the warning messages... I think the glow plugs taking juice from the battery made the alternator show up signs that is was begining to fail...?

food for thought if anyone else is having problems like i had

·
Registered
72 Posts
What voltageshould the battery be when running? its showing about 12.8-13V and around 15V while running, does this sound like the battery, alternator or both?

Rob

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
15 volts is a touch on the high side for a non-Japanese car. If it stays just below this it's ok. The other voltages are fine but just measuring voltages won't test your battery. With your voltages, the alternator shows it is charging (if a smidge high).
Why don't you start a thread and detail what your fault symptoms are?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ment to add these ages ago, fault codes present at the time all the error messages started coming up:

44D2 - Alternator
44E2 - Alternator

4660 - Power supply (battery)
4547 - Power management

I also replaced the IBS Negative lead on the battery to one of the newer black plastic enclosed IBS leads

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the above post, I have the same issue on cold mornings, twice in the last 2 months but had it a few times last winter.

I have already replaced the battery and IBS lead around 1 month ago, but i also have a message

I will re-read the fault codes tonight as I got the message this morning (-1'c)

Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will put money on it being the alternator/regulator, I've just cured another e60 with the same fault, we replaced the regulator on the back of the alternator and and its been perfect every cold morning since.

For whatever reason the regulator, for a split second, was shorting to ground and causing everything to reboot, only when cold though... hard to diagnose but we caugth it on the multimeter one morning.

I forget the Fault code present (i'll see if I have it written down still) but it was stored in the DME as a 'power supply' fault

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thanks for the above post, I have the same issue on cold mornings, twice in the last 2 months but had it a few times last winter.

I have already replaced the battery and IBS lead around 1 month ago, but i also have a message

I will re-read the fault codes tonight as I got the message this morning (-1'c)

Thanks

Rick
Although you replaced the battery and IBS lead, did you get the battery registered? If you did not then that is very likley that the daft messages will keep occurring.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Kwempe I am confused by these comments on having to register a new battery install with the car's software?
I changed the battery on my 2005 E61 530d about a year ago and did nowt other than drop it in and connect it up.
Was it a fluke on my part?? Or is it something you have to do if you install a different capacity battery to what the software has been initialised with??
Think you mentioned that you need to use an INPA lead to access the system to register the new battery, can you pls explain what PC software you have installed that talks to the BM.
From the above I think you can tell I'm not too conversant with this side but keen to learn. Thanks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Kwempe I am confused by these comments on having to register a new battery install with the car's software?
I changed the battery on my 2005 E61 530d about a year ago and did nowt other than drop it in and connect it up.
Was it a fluke on my part?? Or is it something you have to do if you install a different capacity battery to what the software has been initialised with??
Think you mentioned that you need to use an INPA lead to access the system to register the new battery, can you pls explain what PC software you have installed that talks to the BM.
From the above I think you can tell I'm not too conversant with this side but keen to learn. Thanks.
The car logs all charge going in and out of the battery. If you had a really flat battery and replaced it with a new fully charged one the car wouldn't know. It could then give erroneous warnings about "low state of charge" etc.

The car will adapt after about a week but it's not as good as regsitering the new battery (it still thinks the battery is old and may have a reduced capacity if you don't regsiter that a new battery has been fitted).

If the old battery was fully charged before swapping it with a new fully charged battery then the discrepancy will be less and you may never see any problems.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The thing not mentioned by Hella is that BMW's with IBS (not a poo problem!) have a selective shut down facility whereby they turn off various functions to save battery power if a problem is suspected that is causing a low battery fault. If the IBS has not been placed in a learning mode, by registering the battery, it could report problems that don't actually exsist.
My other worry is that new batteries have a shelf life of something like 18 months so that 100% fully charged battery you fitted could be a 30% charged one and the IBS won't know it.
Best practice is to:- charge the battery, off the car, then refit and register it with the IBS even if the battery is new.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, very informative.

I guess it's still worth me charging the battery off the car then registering the battery on re-installation even though it's been a year since it was first installed.

Is this something that I could do or do I need to take it to a dealer or indi? Is there a procedure out there somewhere that explains how to do this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys, very informative.

I guess it's still worth me charging the battery off the car then registering the battery on re-installation even though it's been a year since it was first installed.

Is this something that I could do or do I need to take it to a dealer or indi? Is there a procedure out there somewhere that explains how to do this?
I'm not that far away from you, I have the gear to register your battery, it only take seconds to do :thumbsup

·
Registered
267 Posts
That's sounds great. We are often in Leicester, at least once a week, that would save you a treck. Please PM me to fix the detail.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Faults the same

Hi there,

This is my first post on the forum so would like to say a big hello to everyone :)

I have been reading lots of posts on this forum which have helped me out a lot during the first few weeks of ownership of an E60 530d sport and cure a problem I had...

First week of ownership was fantastic until starting the car early one frosty morning, it started up fine then after about 30 seconds there was a 'bing' from the idrive then up popped 'Charing fault' followed by 'Check battery terminals' then 'Transmission failure' 'RunFlat failure' & 'DSC Failure' messages :eek

I turned the car off and went round to the boot to check the battery terminals which where all nice and tight, so got back in started it up and it was fine, all the messages had gone and no faults on the i drive any more so off i went.

a couple of days went by with no more messages appearing on the idrive then one night on my way home from work i got 'Charing fault' but nothing else. then it went away. when i got home i checked the battery voltage which was 12.75v with the engine off, and 14.39v with it running. I left the car over night and checked the battery voltage in the morning which had dropped down to 11.89v.

I bit the bullet and brought a bosch battery, replaced the old one and the car was perfect for the rest of the week... until another cold morning and all the messages appeared on the idrive again!. I checked the battery again with the engine running it this time the alternator was not charging as the voltage was 11.75v dropping down rather quickly then i heard a slight change in rev's and the alternator started to charge the battery :shifty:

All was well for another couple of days until it was cold one morning again, it did the same as above. so i decided to replace the alternator, since doing so i have not had another warning message from the idrive. So it would appear the old alternator was charging when it felt like it :jaw-dropping

The old alternator did look like it had some oil split or dripped onto and inside it as some point as it had that dirty oily muck look about it

So to cut a long story short, a new battery and alternator has cured my early morning wake up call from the idrive with heart stopping warning messages of transmission failure :thumbsup

Hope this may be of some help to others
Hi there I got a 525 D auto same warnings since Xmas this year once a week or maybe longer...doesn't matter if its cold or warm outside but the last two weeks its happening every few miles. changed battery yesterday and its gradually getting less....Iv been to a few garage's but seem to be at a lose for answers. Yesterday he did say it was down to power supply so changed the battery £75.00 dreading to think what the cost of alternator will be but it looks like thats the next option.. thanks for this post realy helpful.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well got to say a big thank you.. for your post its helped me out in diagnosing my fault... purchased Battery last week then read this and fitted alternator this week.... cleared all faults on ecu. and as yet not had a problem....... Thankyou again......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts