BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Anyone seen this atricle ? comments would be welcom...

http://www.bmw-sport.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9

Cut & pasted content below.......

Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors.
Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negative impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphur contained) diesel.

The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.

The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!

BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.

Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.

In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.

One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.

The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.
The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.
Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I can't think why the petrol/diesel producers have spent zillions on research and not come up with this themselves.

Snake oil IMO..........

·
Registered
140 Posts
This has been discussed on one of the Volvo forums I frequent and there does seem to more to it than you would initially think!

I have not tried it myself as like others, it does have a slight snake oil feel to the claim....I guess unless you have tried it, you wont know!

David

·
Registered
82 Posts
This would be a long term thing. You won't see any improvements, but if you plan on keeping the car, it might be a good idea. I have heard of companies adding it to their fleet merc vans that are going on 400kkm+ with the original fuel system.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This has been discussed on one of the Volvo forums I frequent and there does seem to more to it than you would initially think!

I have not tried it myself as like others, it does have a slight snake oil feel to the claim....I guess unless you have tried it, you wont know!

David
Also seems to be popular on the land rover forums!

This would be a long term thing. You won't see any improvements, but if you plan on keeping the car, it might be a good idea. I have heard of companies adding it to their fleet merc vans that are going on 400kkm+ with the original fuel system.

Did some digging on google and seems to be more wide spread than I imagined. Main improvments seem to be due to the extra lubrication that it provides when added to diesel. Removing the sulpher (low sulpher fules) in fuels removed that extra bit of lubrication that it provides.

So anyone tried it on an e60/e39 diesels ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I am running it atm. notice nothing different. Just hope it makes the injectors and fuel pump last better. Just make sure it is the Jaso FC(low ash) non-synthetic type.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I suddenly feel very old.

I remember 3 star fuel at the pumps (not what we are talking about but it reinforces the age thing), as well as the introduction of unleaded fuel. I feel really old.

Anyway, unleaded came in and cars made before it arrived needed money spent on them to get them to a state where they were happy to run safely on it. My old Ducati hated unleaded and only ran sweet with an octane booster even though it should have run fine on it. Cold weather really made it unhappy.

Shell (or Esso) once did a fuel that they advertised as being the perfect fuel, with claims of additives to replace other additives and better consumption. Only thing was it murdered a hell of a lot of older engines that were not up to running it. New cars of the time ran fine on it but older cars suffered badly (catastrophically in some cases if memory serves).

We constantly see reports of how Fuels are changing to 'fit in' with some new guideline or green aspect, and while for new cars this may not be an issue, it often affects older models in ways that are either unseen, or undetected. No doubt many issues put down to wear and tear.

Maybe the sulphur and 2 stroke thing falls into the same category. Somebody here said 'with all the investment, why has nobody in the fuel industry done it?' Thinking laterally, maybe they did do it, but in this day and age, the resultant fuel may make itl fall foul of whatever restrictions are forced upon them by outside sources.

Snake oil or not? No idea.

If it was an issue causing premature component failure, it might never affect those buying a new car every couple of years. The 2nd hand market would get the short end of the stick from it though.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
:lol an FS1E, 60 kit, micron exhaust and a full tank of gas (1 gallon iirc) = happy days :yes
Only a 60 kit! My Fizzy had an 80 kit (79 actually I think) vibrated like hell but good for 70mph...............if I crouched down flat on the tank and wished it along. My one gallon tank used to get me to work and back before needing a refill...............about 25 miles in fact! Bought an RSX 100 after that, 80mph sitting upright, scary! :jaw-dropping

Not really sure that the two stroke would be such a good idea in my BMW though? I would worry too much about the oil burning blocking up the DPF, low ash or not, cant help but think this might be another urban myth and I'm sure Shell, BP, Texaco etc haven't missed that much of a trick........

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Only a 60 kit! My Fizzy had an 80 kit (79 actually I think) vibrated like hell but good for 70mph...............if I crouched down flat on the tank and wished it along. My one gallon tank used to get me to work and back before needing a refill...............about 25 miles in fact! Bought an RSX 100 after that, 80mph sitting upright, scary! :jaw-dropping
80 kit bloody hell thats some upgrade :thumbsup I also stepped up to a Yam RXS100, too much chrome for my liking tho,
but the lure of driving 4 wheels and staying dry in winter drew me away from peds never to return :frown

Not really sure that the two stroke would be such a good idea in my BMW though? I would worry too much about the oil burning blocking up the DPF, low ash or not, cant help but think this might be another urban myth and I'm sure Shell, BP, Texaco etc haven't missed that much of a trick........
Wouldn't this oil potentially speed up the perishing process of rubber components in the fuel pump and throughout fuel system???

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Wouldn't this oil potentially speed up the perishing process of rubber components in the fuel pump and throughout fuel system???
When I removed my swirl flaps I cleaned them in petrol just to see if any screws were loose. The rubber (silicon?) coating on them shriveled and peeled off even though they were untouched by years in a diesel-ish environment. Don't think I would put anything unless specifically designed for diesel in my tank-the sachets of 2-stroke for my strimmer actually say contains petroleum distillates on the (and a picture of a dead fish!:eek) If it is just oil though I would hope the concentration would be so low as to not do any harm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts