BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

New to the forum, but have owned BMW's for some time now. Firstly, I have a 2007 M5, original continental tyres, no (or very very little) road noise. I have a 525d, which originally had the 16" basic alloy wheels and dunlop tyres. Again no road noise. I changed the wheels to the 'new 5' style 18" rims about a year ago. Unfortuanately, and stupidly, I went for budget tyres as I do a fair few miles (20k per yr). The tyres are Ironman 245/40/18zr 90XL. Wear is great, as I think there made from Plastic!!!, grip in dry is OK, in the wet I think there dangerous! My main problem is tyre noise. There is a constant wering/buzzing noise from the tyres, everyone that gets into the car remarks on it, and when you break at a junction, the tread on the front tyres makes a noise as if the brake discs are on the limit, which there not. The noise is similar to what you get from riding a bike with nobbly tyres on a hard concrete/tarmac road. Ive had enough of the noise, so im gonna change all 4. They are not run flats (I have a spare), however I want a quality tyre that offers good grip and NO or little noise. What do you guys think? I asked BMW, and all they say is RFT....RFT. I dont want run flats!

Thanks in advance.

Karl:confused

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Hi Karl and welcome to the club :)

So just to summarise, this is what you want:

Decent tyre in wet and dry
size is 245/40/18
must be "quiet" in terms of road noise

My questions are:

What's your budget?
Are you expecting the rear tyres to last you 20k miles a year?
Any brand you defo don't want?

Take a looky here to see what I went through but it wasn't a change because of road noise!

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f84/2005-e60-530d-auto-m-sport-tyre-dilemma-t6670/

Red :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Red

Thanks

Budget is approx £150 each max (ish). Would like them to last 20k, but not as important as having no road noise. Any make is fine, I think some models run Michellin Premacy? As I mentioned, the continetals on the M5 are quiet, but I did have continentals on a 2004 vectra and that had loads of road noise?

What I dont wanna do is spend £500+, and end up with a load of road noise again, and be stuck with it for another 20k miles! They dont do 14 day exchanges on tyres!!! lol :hihi

Thanks

Karl

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hello and welcome - Reds your man on this one - if you look at his thread on this topic there is a lot good info on there to be gained - have used Michelin Pilot Primacy on my 525d - great tyre for grip both in wet and dry noise levels and longevity

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Karl, sorry I missed the posting mate.

Well for that budget you could opt for faulkner or good year F1s. But like has been said on previous post (Mtec) the faulkners spin in the wet.

I can tell you the Gyear F1s are sublime in the wet, grip and stability is second to none compared to run flats. I've been stopping, accelarating and cornering like never before.

Road noise I've never really noticed, so I guess that is good.... I'm gonna be changing my tyre pressurses they are too low and get back to you mate (bad weather up here preventing me from using car).

My Gyear F1s cost 142.50 a pop, you can get them cheaper than that. Or save some money and go for faulkner. Your choice.

So you thought anymore about it? Got any prices. reviews yet? Red :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Red

I think im gonna go down the Dunlop Sp max route, there labelled as 'the quiet tyre' and were standard fit on the original 16" alloys, plus, normally they are £140 a corner, Kwiq fit have a special offer on, 4 tyres for 480, so £120 each. Gotta be better than the Ironman budgets I have! And today, the tyre pressure warning symbol and message has appeared saying I have a puncture, which I clearly dont.....how does this system work and how does it read the tyre pressures? Remembering I have aftermarket (replica) bmw wheels.

Many Thanks

Karl

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
IIRC the later type as fitted to e60 5 series calculates via the ABS sensors any difference in wheel rotation, hence why it will work on any tyre/wheel combination.

I find mine can throw up erroneous warnings after very long journeys when tyres get particularly warm for instance. I just check the prssures and reset.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi

Yes, that would make sense, my warning was on a similar journey. As for tyres, just read several other forum posts for other car makes, and others have used and have problems relating to wet grip and noise from IRONMAN tyres. My advice is they dont suit a 5 series!

Thanks

Karl

·
Registered
470 Posts
Karlse60 - give bracknell tyres a call - they will beat kwik fit hands down - they are very cheap and good - the number is 01344 411 323 - I got some quotes for Red as a price guide. They are well worth doing the trip for they are the cheapest I have found in the region by a mile! I went there for my falkens but will use them in future and I am a bit away from them.

I have just rang them 108 fitted each corner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Mtec

To late....sorry. Only just read your post! Anyway, went to Autspeed in Wiltshire today, had 2 Dunlop SP01 (silent) tyres fitted (245/40/18 93Y) at £122 each and oh boy its a different car. Even with just 2, the noise has 99% gone and I can enjoy my E60 again! Ive ordered another 2 for the rear, so I'll have some traction in the wet too!! Definately a tyre to recommend!

Thanks for all your help!

Karl

1 - 10 of 10 Posts