BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2005 E60 525d - Swirl Flap Quotes

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  MTec B 
#1 ·
So, thinking of getting my swirl flaps done.. not mechanically minded enough to do it myself, so got a quote from Munich Motors, in Wokingham for about £320 all in.. is that reasonable for this work?

Cheers

#4 ·
It does seem a little more expensive than quoted elsewhere on the forum, you could always ask them for a breakdown of the costs.

I can only assume that they're looking at 3hrs labour@£75(inc vat) + £95 parts.

Have they done this procedure before as I'm sure you could do this in a workshop in a couple of hours rather than 3 :frown

But saying that Munich Motors do get a good rep on the forum http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/search.php?searchid=703159 :thumbsup

#11 ·
For a dealer the price is OK but an indy can usually be cheaper, while it's in bits you could have the EGR cleaned, mine took an hour to clean so if you can get that thrown in not to bad.
The kit is £100 ish but there are much cheaper ways of blocking the holes.
Thing is you are buying insurance here, not worrying is priceless:thumbsup

#16 ·
Why would you get the flaps removed on an E60, never experienced eny problems with these in the 6 years they have been out, not a single one. Waste of money IMO
I stand corrected if anyone knows of an E60 thats swallowed a swirl flap but not heard of it anywhere in the dealer network!

#24 ·
Its clear the controversy of 'remove or not to remove' will continue. I removed mine (and replaced with alloy blanks) but the ones I extracted looked in immaculate condition and left me wondering whether the effort was worth it. Mines a used 2004 model and available info said that most of these models had the original design fitted. Out of interest I phoned the BMW dealership that had maintained my car from new and asked whether there had been any significant mechnical maintenance, only recorded item was an inlet manifold replacement in Dec.2008, why ???? So mine were the updated design (being used today on current models) hence their current condition. Question is - did BMW eventually recognise their originally crappy design and pro-actively do something about it ? The Dealership did acknowledge the existence of these failures only earlier models but had seen no problems (yet) on cars 2005 onwards. It would have been interesting to know whether our friend (GAZZ C) who had the E60 failure had the original or current design that failed but I guess this is now untraceable history . I gather the transition to the current design occurred in late 2004 onwards. Still, £36 for new parts and 1.5 hrs DIY is cheap insurance.

#26 ·
For what it is worth I took my car in for an oil service - and mentioned swirl flaps to the Indy - he surprisingly siad he had yet to experience any failure on a 6 cylinder model - but the 4 cylinder was common place. Either way I will not be taking the risk and will look to have mine replaced asap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.