BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, thinking of getting my swirl flaps done.. not mechanically minded enough to do it myself, so got a quote from Munich Motors, in Wokingham for about £320 all in.. is that reasonable for this work?

Cheers

·
Registered
458 Posts
hi m8 firstly are you sure your car is the e39? would have thought on that year its the e60! anyway that quote seems a lttle high my m8 at auto technics in doncaster does in on the e60 model for for around 160 to 190 depending on the engine m8 so id shop around !!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi m8 firstly are you sure your car is the e39? would have thought on that year its the e60! anyway that quote seems a lttle high my m8 at auto technics in doncaster does in on the e60 model for for around 160 to 190 depending on the engine m8 so id shop around !!!

yeah, its an E60, dont know why it says E39.. dont do that myself...

the £320 includes the parts to block it off, which is about £95..

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
It does seem a little more expensive than quoted elsewhere on the forum, you could always ask them for a breakdown of the costs.

I can only assume that they're looking at 3hrs [email protected]£75(inc vat) + £95 parts.

Have they done this procedure before as I'm sure you could do this in a workshop in a couple of hours rather than 3 :frown

But saying that Munich Motors do get a good rep on the forum http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/search.php?searchid=703159 :thumbsup

·
Registered
61 Posts
My BMW fully trained Indy, done mine for £80....plus he did a couple of other jobs aswell.

2 hours work.

No parts used to block mine off, plugged the holes, and car runs exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Mate you can get the part on eBay for £50 I bought mine from there last week. Also £320 Is way too high it's not that long of a job. Shop around mate.

·
Registered
916 Posts
For a dealer the price is OK but an indy can usually be cheaper, while it's in bits you could have the EGR cleaned, mine took an hour to clean so if you can get that thrown in not to bad.
The kit is £100 ish but there are much cheaper ways of blocking the holes.
Thing is you are buying insurance here, not worrying is priceless:thumbsup

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For a dealer the price is OK but an indy can usually be cheaper, while it's in bits you could have the EGR cleaned, mine took an hour to clean so if you can get that thrown in not to bad.
The kit is £100 ish but there are much cheaper ways of blocking the holes.
Thing is you are buying insurance here, not worrying is priceless:thumbsup

EGR?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
right, change of plans.. bought them direct from PMW and having K&M put them in for £136 incl. total cost is thus £230, cheaper by about £90 than Munich

·
Registered
916 Posts
The EGR valve is bolted to the intake of the manifold and mixes exhaust gas with the turbo charged air the exhaust gas controls the temperature and reduces NOX emmissions, Makes you a bit more Polar Bear friendly..:hihi
Exhaust Gas Recirculation... EGR
This valve gets quite dirty after some years use.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Why would you get the flaps removed on an E60, never experienced eny problems with these in the 6 years they have been out, not a single one. Waste of money IMO
I stand corrected if anyone knows of an E60 thats swallowed a swirl flap but not heard of it anywhere in the dealer network!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
had the work done by K&M yesterday, using flaps sourced from PMW.. very quick and efficient, only 2 hours.. they even topped up my screenwash..

cant feel/tell any difference in how the car drives..

·
Registered
8 Posts
6 Blanking plates £36 on ebay.

yeah, its an E60, dont know why it says E39.. dont do that myself...

the £320 includes the parts to block it off, which is about £95..
I picked up 6 blanking plates on ebay, fitted myself (just a DIY'er) in 2 hours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why would you get the flaps removed on an E60, never experienced eny problems with these in the 6 years they have been out, not a single one. Waste of money IMO
I stand corrected if anyone knows of an E60 thats swallowed a swirl flap but not heard of it anywhere in the dealer network!
thats what they said to me mate,im living proof the e60 ate my flaps and totalled my engine and turbo,hence just removed mine on my latest car 535d sport ,just aint worth the risk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts