BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steering is making a very annoying squeaky noise.
I just wondered if this is a common fault and how to fix.
I have had the plastics off around the wheel and sprayed some WD40 around and it went for 2 days.
Now it is back worse than ever.
I read a topic in the 3 series section saying to remove air bag and steering wheel and get some grease on.
Is this a good idea,is it same procedure to remove the steering wheel.
Dissconecting the battery for 15 minutes to deactivate the air bag????

·
Registered
865 Posts
You have pre 56plate e60 what it'll be pas oil in pre 56plate cars use atf later use pentisin oil (chf11s) to me. What we do at dealer there is now special oil thats added to pas oil. way to do it oil needs to be heated up to 60degrees remove some of the oil the add the additive oil the heat up to 105degrees buy no more than 110. Thats done by keeping revvs to 3000rpm and turnoing strg from lock to lock. Bloody knackering!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Sorry to be a bit of a numpty but could you explain it to me a bit simpler?
Do i just need to take some of the pas oil out?if so how much?
Then i have to heat up some additive and add it to pas oil?do i get it from dealers?

My noise seems to be coming from near top of wheel.
A friend says i should remove air bag,take off the steering wheel and grease around the ring????

·
Registered
97 Posts
here mate this might help you it certainly helped me sorry if this isnt allowed but its from another forum i had the same problem with my e36.

the garage b4 said i need a new bearing in the steering wheel, but found this page and it works.

hope this helps ya did for me any many others (ok diagram for e36 but same idea i guess)
http://forums. bimmerforums. com/forum/showthread.php?t=245961 remove spaces

oh and i didnt bother with the straws just took it to an indepndent good guy who got underneath and sprayed some grease i guess in the right area, steering is like new no noises no squeaks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You get oil from dealer not sure on price only little bottle of special additive. We use to have to completely flush out atf and put in chf11s oil to stop noise. Additive is easier way and less mess, Spray in wd would do anything as noise in pas system not mechanism. Will get and post part number and price on tuesday when get back to work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had the same thing on mine. Shaft69 is correct - the dealer add's a oil additive to the exsisting steering rack loob.

It worked on mine for about 3-4 days then every now and then comes back. I found a simple way of getting shot of it.

I drive with the steering wheel pushed in fully with the height level with the dash trim. I release the clamp and whilst the engine is one pull the steering wheel in and out several times whilst up & downing - just moving it all over the place. Then place it back into the prefered postion.

The dealer told me it was the not the steering coloume but the rubber seal that sits at the very base and wanted about 1-2k for a repair..............I think I can live with a minor noise every now and then ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I get some noise too...but when it comes the steering becomes a bit stiff. What could be the issue? my indy checked the oil level and its fine.

Also I bought car warranty from carprotect.co.uk, how good are they>? do they actually pay you?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I get some noise too...but when it comes the steering becomes a bit stiff. What could be the issue? my indy checked the oil level and its fine.

Also I bought car warranty from carprotect.co.uk, how good are they>? do they actually pay you?
Its not so much the oil level but this heat additive they add to the oil mix.

The dealers have a TSB on it, and if its under warranty you might get it done for free!!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
85 Posts
No my car is 2003 e60 so no warranty from BMW however I bought warranty from carprotect.co.uk I dont know how good they are.

Ok how much would the dealer charge for checking that heat additive or oil level and put some oil in if needed? any idea?

Its not so much the oil level but this heat additive they add to the oil mix.

The dealers have a TSB on it, and if its under warranty you might get it done for free!!! :thumbsup

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try a power steering additive from Lucas, it claims to eliminate noisy steering and leaks, I'm trying some in mine as the BMW dealer wanted £113 for draining 10% of the existing fluid and adding this stuff (or similar!). The price of the additive is about £12 for a decent make, just don't overfill it.

Is this the one you are talking about? http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products.php?page=products&subpage=product&product=66

I am new to BMW, where is this steering oil bottle in 2003 e60 530D? should I just top it up with this additive? my indy said the oil level was ok so do i need to drain it before i put this one in? what should i do? please help

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.