BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2005 525d m Sport Touring Auto, from a main dealer - fabulous car, really love it.

Somewhat confused about fuel consumption though - it's my first diesel car and was expecting decent mpg. On short trips around town the gauge suggests 16-18mpg, on longer trips 25 - 30. Not been on a long motorway run yet.

Measuring the tank v total miles would suggest i'm averaging 28 ish on a mixed picture of driving.(only used half a tank so far) - I'm certainly being v gentle on the accelerator.

Could the mpg sensor be faulty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I recently had an Audi 2.5tdi and the fuel econ was around 30 in town and up to 48 on a M-way run. However, it was a manual, and it is worth remembering that an auto box does knock up fuel consumption.

I now have a 525d auto and I must admit I also thought it would be a bit better than it is. I get around 20-25mpg in town and about 35-40 on a long run. A shame really as I was expecting at least 5mpg more on each figure.

Do you drive with it in full auto or DS or manual? You might get a difference here? What about the grade of diesel that you are using? This might give a smal increase in mpg figures. You also have to remember that the OBC can be a little off with its figures given that it sometimes registers 0 miles left and there is at least 3/4 litres still left in the reserve when I fill up.

Perhaps the car needs a service? Or a little more radically, a remap! More torque, less right foot....!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply - i'd be pleased with 25mpg - must say though, my town driving is often only 3-4 miles from cold start so am not expecting too much - just perhaps more than 16-18!

still think gauge might be dodgy

should have been fully serviced as was bought with full 12m warranty from main beemer dealer - all service settings on computer suggest long time till needs attention

my mate who is a mechanic did a full 'krypton' type analysis and said the engine was operating fine

haven't used the gearbox in manual yet and certainly didn't dare try the sport auto!!

thanks again for your reply, main concern was what I really should be expecting

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Hi Lloydo, You are getting low figures for your car, I run a 2005 530d and receive 28 mpg and more around town, and 33 mpg and more at higher m way speeds (I don't stick to the limit!).

I ain't no mechanic but I would be inclined to take the car back under warranty and ask them why it is so slow.

May I ask why you haven't tried the steptronic sport mode yet? You can get quite a lot of fun out of it. Try it on a straight quiet road if you are not sure..... :) Red :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
had tiptronic on my old audi 1.8T - you're right, it was fun - being used to auto though, I'd keep forgetting to change gear!!

spoke to ocean bmw today in falmouth, they will have car in for a checkup next week (i've also noticed a shuddering when I start up - feels like engine is misfiring - goes away after 5-10 secs)

have full 12m parts and labour warranty so should be ok

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
My neighbour has a 525d Sport Auto. He is Mr Mechanically Unsympathetic, thrapes it 6 miles to work and back from cold, never goes on the motorway and he has averaged 32mpg over 40k miles in 3 years. Makes me think your is a bit low Lloydo.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
had tiptronic on my old audi 1.8T - you're right, it was fun - being used to auto though, I'd keep forgetting to change gear!!
Lloydo mate, it will change gear automatically by itself, it is not a true manual if you like.

Just test it on a long straight road and through it into 2nd (in sport mode i mean), watch the revs rise a bit as soon as you do this and floor it, don't touch the auto stick and watch it change gear itself. It will never red line. Red :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok will floor it!! - i've def been pussyfooting...

on the steptronic thing - my audi tiptronic would change down automatically but not up - that required an active change - are you saying the steptronic does both unless you overide?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The MAF can give you poor fuel consumption and not bring up a fault code, it would need to be viewed in live data on a scanner to ascertain if it's performing correctly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.