BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitted an EGR bypass (Allard) today brought up the management light but getting that mapped out soon. I suspected that my water Thermostat was not working properly now I am positive, the needle is mainly at a third now instead of just under halfway after about 4 miles and it was the warmest day this year.
Took an hour to remove old and fit new, drives fine too soon to tell any performance mpg changes as I only went 20 miles to the wheel refurb shop.
I have also worked out a way to keep the exhaust cooling gasses venting but not into the engine and keep the engine cover mounting point.
Will get some pictures soon.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Those Allard bypasses do look top notch kit and it deffo sounds like the thermo is fubarred have you checked temp via OBC
hidden as it should be running at 85-95 degs?
Not sure about DIYing exhaust gas venting so am really curious to see the pics :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you can see from picture the pipe to the EGR comes from the exhaust manifold not the Turbo as I thought, is cooled by No1 and at low revs is allowed into the inlet, I was thinking of venting it to spare sensor port on the decat pipe which will be at a lower pressure than the mainfold I can make up the pipe in work.
On my VW I just blocked it, 2 years later, 10000 miles, 35 more bhp map, no probs at all, the guy I sold it to a year has had no probs either.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
There's no need to vent it. Thought most egr bypasses came with a metal plate that bolt to the manifold inplace of the ege pipe sealing it up. Thats what wants to be done :thumbsup

I've had my egr deactivated (just removed and blocked the vacuum pipe) for 17000+ miles all good :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no need to vent it. Thought most egr bypasses came with a metal plate that bolt to the manifold inplace of the ege pipe sealing it up. Thats what wants to be done :thumbsup

I've had my egr deactivated (just removed and blocked the vacuum pipe) for 17000+ miles all good :thumbsup[/QUOTE

Yes the EGR bypass I have blanks off the pipe after the cooler.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi is this advert right??? Is it worth bypassing the egr valve??

*BMW* EGR Diesel Bypass Valve kit

Stainless Steel Precision Laser Cut and TIG welded

BRAND NEW
*** 1 EGR BYPASS---* STAINLESS STEEL
*** 1 EGR GASKET (NECESSARY TO EXCHANGE EGR BYPASS)
*** 4 SCREW (STAINLESS STELL)
*** 1 HOSE CLIPS (STAINLESS STELL)
***** *** Complete with step by step fitting guide ****

Stainless steel’s resistance to corrosion and staining,
This valve has been carefully designed and manufactured to replace the original EGR valve system. The original system allows hot and contaminating exhaust gasses to enter the intake system on the BMW diesels and mix with the oil causing thick layers of carbon/sludge to build up on the walls of the intake system thus reducing performance. Also the EGR valve that is present in the std EGR body reduces the intake opening by some 40% which in return severly restricts the volume of air reaching the engine this reducing the performance and the power of the engine. The factory fitted exhaust gas recirculation system has been applied to all modern diesel and petrol engines for some years. The basic principal behind the factory part is to allow some of the exhaust gasses to enter into the inlet system, essentially helping to control the emission out put of the vehicle. However, this is not necessary as diesels are not measured on CO2 emission out put, but particulate (soot). There are two main draw backs from having this on your car. One, is that by allowing hot exhaust gas to pass back in to your inlet system you lower the effective combustion achieved, as an engine will always combust better on cold dense air. Secondly, the soot from EGR mixes with the oil vapor produced by the turbo and forms a paste which sticks to the inlet manifold and ports and reduces the flow, in effect causing the engine to strangle itself. The EGR bypass has been manufactured using 8 mm thick laser cut flanges and all the sub assembly components have been assembled using jigs to ensure accuracy and consistency every time. This product has been MIG welded by a time served welding engineer.This replaces the existing EGR assembly and in return it offers the following improvements over the standard EGR system.
Fitting Kit includes:

---***1 x EGR *Bypass Valve --

--***4 x A2 Stainless Steel mounting Bolts --

--***1 x *jubilee Clip *--

--**1 x tie wrap to secure redundant vacuum pipe --

--***1 x Full pictorial fitting instructions --

-- gasket --

This replaces the existing EGR assembly and in return it offers the following improvements over the standard EGR system.

--****Reduced turbo lag so therefore more power earlier in the rev range,--

--***More torque from 1200rpm till the redline --

--***Lower intake temperatures due to increased airflow --

--**Prevents fouling of the expensive diesel injectors --

*--***Smoother engine running --

---***Improved*throttle response - --

---***Prevents carbon build up in the intake system *---

*---***More power across the rev range and through all gears. ---*

---***Eliminates tar and sediment build up inside inlet manifold, which in turn reduces air flow.---
---***Get rid of all the problems associated with faulty or leaking EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) systems.---
---**Cost effective solution and replacement part for original problematic EGR valve---

---***Significant reduction of black smoke under acceleration.---

---***Improved Fuel economy ---There are some POR BLACK PAINT EGR BYPASES* (will corrode within days of fitting )only kits available but these are not ideal, the actual EGR valve is a restriction to air flow and is best removed completely.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hi is this advert right??? Is it worth bypassing the egr valve??

*BMW* EGR Diesel Bypass Valve kit

Stainless Steel Precision Laser Cut and TIG welded

BRAND NEW
*** 1 EGR BYPASS---* STAINLESS STEEL
*** 1 EGR GASKET (NECESSARY TO EXCHANGE EGR BYPASS)
*** 4 SCREW (STAINLESS STELL)
*** 1 HOSE CLIPS (STAINLESS STELL)
***** *** Complete with step by step fitting guide ****

Stainless steel’s resistance to corrosion and staining,
This valve has been carefully designed and manufactured to replace the original EGR valve system. The original system allows hot and contaminating exhaust gasses to enter the intake system on the BMW diesels and mix with the oil causing thick layers of carbon/sludge to build up on the walls of the intake system thus reducing performance. Also the EGR valve that is present in the std EGR body reduces the intake opening by some 40% which in return severly restricts the volume of air reaching the engine this reducing the performance and the power of the engine. The factory fitted exhaust gas recirculation system has been applied to all modern diesel and petrol engines for some years. The basic principal behind the factory part is to allow some of the exhaust gasses to enter into the inlet system, essentially helping to control the emission out put of the vehicle. However, this is not necessary as diesels are not measured on CO2 emission out put, but particulate (soot). There are two main draw backs from having this on your car. One, is that by allowing hot exhaust gas to pass back in to your inlet system you lower the effective combustion achieved, as an engine will always combust better on cold dense air. Secondly, the soot from EGR mixes with the oil vapor produced by the turbo and forms a paste which sticks to the inlet manifold and ports and reduces the flow, in effect causing the engine to strangle itself. The EGR bypass has been manufactured using 8 mm thick laser cut flanges and all the sub assembly components have been assembled using jigs to ensure accuracy and consistency every time. This product has been MIG welded by a time served welding engineer.This replaces the existing EGR assembly and in return it offers the following improvements over the standard EGR system.
Fitting Kit includes:

---***1 x EGR *Bypass Valve --

--***4 x A2 Stainless Steel mounting Bolts --

--***1 x *jubilee Clip *--

--**1 x tie wrap to secure redundant vacuum pipe --

--***1 x Full pictorial fitting instructions --

-- gasket --

This replaces the existing EGR assembly and in return it offers the following improvements over the standard EGR system.

--****Reduced turbo lag so therefore more power earlier in the rev range,--

--***More torque from 1200rpm till the redline --

--***Lower intake temperatures due to increased airflow --

--**Prevents fouling of the expensive diesel injectors --

*--***Smoother engine running --

---***Improved*throttle response - --

---***Prevents carbon build up in the intake system *---

*---***More power across the rev range and through all gears. ---*

---***Eliminates tar and sediment build up inside inlet manifold, which in turn reduces air flow.---
---***Get rid of all the problems associated with faulty or leaking EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) systems.---
---**Cost effective solution and replacement part for original problematic EGR valve---

---***Significant reduction of black smoke under acceleration.---

---***Improved Fuel economy ---There are some POR BLACK PAINT EGR BYPASES* (will corrode within days of fitting )only kits available but these are not ideal, the actual EGR valve is a restriction to air flow and is best removed completely.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Omj the add is largely right :thumbsup only real thing I disagree with is it say the origional egr valve restricts the intake by 40% no way more like a maximum of 10-15% I'd say.

Depending on the age of your car stoping the egr might bring on the emissions light.

You can bypass the egr by simply removing and blocking the small vacuum pipe that is connected to the egr valve. Doing this leaves the valve shut all the time so none of the nasty soot gets breather back into the engine :thumbsup

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same EGR bypass as per the advert omj has listed.
Although I can't say for certain I have noticed a difference. The main reason is I had a turbo failure just prior to fitting it.

One thing to be careful of the valve in that advert has two grooves cut in where the intercooler pipe fits. You will see the original EGR valve has a larger lip which is much better at retaining the intercooler pipe.
I have had my intercooler pipe blow off once, so I now check it regularly.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
anyone done this on a 5 series??????

·
Platinum BFuk Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same EGR bypass as per the advert omj has listed.
Although I can't say for certain I have noticed a difference. The main reason is I had a turbo failure just prior to fitting it.

One thing to be careful of the valve in that advert has two grooves cut in where the intercooler pipe fits. You will see the original EGR valve has a larger lip which is much better at retaining the intercooler pipe.
I have had my intercooler pipe blow off once, so I now check it regularly.

the one I have has an olive type end that you have to push the pipe over and then clamp behind it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
So I could leave the egr valve on the car as it is, and just remove the vacum pipe and plug it up?? Instead of buying a bypass kit? Mine is a 2001 320d, 136bhp, will this bring any lights on?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
No lights for you omj tho there will be EGR error codes stored in ECU, golf tee in vac pipe and electricians tape around its male
connection on EGR, this'll stop any crap getting into the system.
Cable tie disconnected vac pipe to EGR to stop if flapping a round :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I could leave the egr valve on the car as it is, and just remove the vacum pipe and plug it up?? Instead of buying a bypass kit? Mine is a 2001 320d, 136bhp, will this bring any lights on?
I would remove it and clean it as well,not a big job, you can get quite a build up of crap in there.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Are there any adverse affects on the turbo with this....is there not some cooling effort associated with the EGR as well as the re-burning of exhaust gas

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Are there any adverse affects on the turbo with this....is there not some cooling effort associated with the EGR as well as the re-burning of exhaust gas
There is a cooling effect of the engine breathing in some exhaust gasses but I don't think the egr is always open. So if it was detrimental to turbo life because of more heat then there wouldn't be any egr valve it would be a constant supply of exhaust gas.

Don't forget egr was developed to meet emissions regs turbos where around way before egr existed and doing just fine. :thumbsup

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just to check, no warning lights, that's good, and no need to buy a bypass valve? And it will not do any damage to turbo or engine? Will it improve mpg? Performance and general running of the engine and turbo?? Thank you for all your help,

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Just to check, no warning lights, that's good, and no need to buy a bypass valve? And it will not do any damage to turbo or engine? Will it improve mpg? Performance and general running of the engine and turbo?? Thank you for all your help,
Yes to all of the above pretty much.

Check out this thread, has links to very detailed descriptions of what and why egr is and how its abit crap. http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f15/all-you-will-ever-need-to-know-about-t71777/

1 - 20 of 33 Posts