BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, if i was to buy a new set of headlight units and they were ones with built in xenons (original BMW xenons with projector, etc.), would they fit straight into my car which does not have xenons, or would I need to upgrade wires, etc?

Cheers.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Quick question, if i was to buy a new set of headlight units and they were ones with built in xenons (original BMW xenons with projector, etc.), would they fit straight into my car which does not have xenons, or would I need to upgrade wires, etc?

Cheers.
I imagine you have the projector style lenses already right??

If so then you can buy an H7 projector headlight kit and fit it no problem.
DDMtuning.com sell them and some UK places will Im sure

You will also need to buy a pair of Bow3 warning light stoppers otherwise your dashboard may show a fault light (incorrectly) but the Xenon kits throw it off.

I thinmk the apex cone HID kit from DDMtuning already has the Bow3s in so you would be ready to go.

See the attached picture,...are your lights this shape? if not post a pic please

Options 2//

Buy the BMW OEM ballast and the cable and scoket for the Xenon lamps, and some 5k (brightness and light colour) Xenon bulbs.

Im not sure if that would throw a warning light, but it will be more costly Im sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Different setup...so unless the compacts came with xenons fitted from the factory, you will find it extremely difficult as I'm not even sure if BMW can retrofit. There is more to it then just a wire loom. Levellers, striker units, ballasts, LCM coding...etc. You can have a go if you are brave enough :thumbsup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply. Things like levelling, striker units, ballasts, LCM coding can be dealt with cant they? But are you 100% sure the plugs are different because if they arn't then theres no point really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts