BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Edit: Could mod please move this thread to the car audio sub-forum?)

Hi everybody!
I need your advice on a small problem/challenge here. I got myself a 2005 e46 320d a couple of weeks ago and while the car itself works well, I really miss being able to stream music from my smartphone...

From what I've read and come to understand my stereo is a little bit different than the regular "Business CD" unit. I have the 1-din Business Navigation unit with the casette tape player. In the boot is the MK4 DVD satnav and a 6cd changer. My unit has the old 17-pin layout (although it's made 2005) with both of the 10 pin slots occupied. One with the cd-changer and one with the tape and navbus.

The Business Navigation unit notwithstanding, I ordered a cheap 10 pin AUX adapter but it didn't work...

See photos below for more information. The unit looks kind of beat up, and that's because it's had the casette player module removed earlier as it had a habit of destroying tapes apparently.

From my point of view I see three (possible?) ways forward

1. Can I somehow hijack the current harness so as to send an AUX signal to the stereo? Is there another adapter somewhere that I could buy? I don't need the cd changer.
2. Will a dension gateway work with my car? Are the other similar products that would work?
3. Can I, with ease, replace my stereo altogether with an aftermarket one? I've seen some aftermarket kits on ebay, will those work or is my harness special?

2016-08-26 15.28.53.jpg

2016-08-26 15.29.25.jpg

2016-08-26 15.29.29.jpg

2016-08-26 15.32.12.jpg

2016-08-26 15.35.56.jpg

2016-08-26 15.36.28.jpg

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It should work I have soldered after market MP3 module AUX wires to stock AUX IN radio connections.
I have now MP3 instead of cd's or cassettes...

I have done this, so I don't have to connect to cd changer in trunk...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input!

Could you please elaborate on how you solved the problem? Do I need to open up the right-hand connector (the one with tape and nav-bus), remove the tape wires and hook up three new ones to AUX?

PIN-Layout.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I've been thinking about that too...the signal, whether it comes from a 3.5mm or from a cd-changer should be the same right? I'll see what I can do with the cable I bought...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yup it will work :) When I select CD changer feature on radio it producing sounds to speakers :D
So I have no more cd changer, cassette etc... all removed...:cool

·
Registered
186 Posts
Watching this thread with interest...I have the same set up and was going to chuck my aux cable lol.

I've just cut round the aux plug cover and removed the plastic part that the wires go into.

If you have a small jewellers type screwdriver you can gently lift the plastic tabs that hold the copper coloured connectors in place and pull the wires out - then re fit them to the correct holes to correspond with the pins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally, I now have a working 3.5mm input! :)

Following BMW325TI's (THANK YOU!) suggestion I removed the cd-changer cable and connected a 3.5mm female cable to left & right speaker + & left speaker - (common ground on my cable, thus only one ground) (se picture below). Lo' and behold, it works! While the cd-changer is doing its best in the boot, I feed the head unit with a signal from my smartphone! This morning I connected a bluetooth receiver to the 3.5mm instead, so now I can stream music from my smartphone without having to bother with any cables! :D

In short, if you've got a BMW e46 2005 with the Business Navigation Unit, above method will work!

I connected to pin 1, 2 and 6 in the picture below.
I assume that the other pins like "reset, clock" etc. aren't used then as everything else seem to work fine...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85661&d=1090415013

1 - 10 of 10 Posts