BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people. i have a 2005 E46 320CD and i have noticed a problem with the temperature gauge. When i am driving around town the needle stays at the halfway point. When i then go on the motorway i notice that the needle drops close to the blue mark on the gauge. I had the waterpump replaced last year along with the thermostat. I also bleed the coolant system to see if it would solve the problem but didnt. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no. i only changed the main one and not the EGR one. Parts i got them from eurocarparts

·
Registered
24 Posts
no. i only changed the main one and not the EGR one. Parts i got them from eurocarparts
I have the same issue, at standby or in town it is at the correct position, TDC on the dial, but when you start moving on an open road it drops to just above the blue block...upon accessing the OBC cheat sheet (getting into the functions) the coolant temp was only at 56c which is way to low.

I have ordered a main thermostat and egr thermostat from autodoc (german company) and will fit when back and let you know...From other threads seems people change the egr thermo and it helps (mine is a 2005 e46 320cd)

egr thermostat opens at 70c, i chose a main thermo that opened at 88c as the other ones opened at 85c

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
hey people. i have a 2005 E46 320CD and i have noticed a problem with the temperature gauge. When i am driving around town the needle stays at the halfway point. When i then go on the motorway i notice that the needle drops close to the blue mark on the gauge. I had the waterpump replaced last year along with the thermostat. I also bleed the coolant system to see if it would solve the problem but didnt. Any help would be much appreciated.
that aint a coolant yemp its oil,,these cars aint got coolant temp,,you have to access hidden menu to see coolant temp

·
Registered
2010 330d e90, 2008 M3 e92
2,493 Posts
Err, I'm fairly sure you're wrong mate ;), I think you're getting mixed up with the e90s. AFAIK every e46 (not sure about the M3) has an engine coolant temperature gauge, although it's rather vague as the straight up position covers 75-90C!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Heheh, I just had to check, yep, mine's got a coolant temp gauge .. ;)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Err, I'm fairly sure you're wrong mate ;), I think you're getting mixed up with the e90s. AFAIK every e46 (not sure about the M3) has an engine coolant temperature gauge, although it's rather vague as the straight up position covers 75-90C!
yeh my bad,,my old e46 330d 2003 euro 3,,i used to use hidden menu for accurate read of temp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts