BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Ive had my 645 a few months now and all is going well, but ive noticed a sound when i accelerate and decelerate and want to see if its normal.

It hard to describe, but ill try.
its like a whine, but kind of like an electric motor.
If I put it in sport mode, and accelerate fast and then take my foot off i hear it more prominantly.

its difficult to record as the engine sound is there too and this whine is mixed in with it.

any clues ?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
I think if I really give it some and the gearbox doesn't change up as I lift off then I may get something similar but never been anything to make me think that there's something wrong. Maybe get a passenger to record the noise and post it up?

·
Registered
206 Posts
is it only there during acceleration and deceleration , is it there say going down the road at a constant 50 mph??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had another listen and the sound is heard most when revs are above 2500.
thats why i inly heard it when i put my foot down on low speeds.

I tried the manual setting on the gearbox and can confirm that if i keep the revs up then the sound stays.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Mine has a noisy water pump that the local Indy says is still ok but just on the noisy side but it's not related to high revs, or at least I don't hear it over the engine...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
latest update

hi

i always think its best to provide follow up posts as its a way to thank those that tried to assist.

The car went into BMW and they diagnosed it to a faulty alternator.
I did not ask if it was a bearing or someother fault, but at least now i know it was not normal and can be fixed.

It will be done under AUC warranty.
Truth is im not sure now if it was always there and just got worse, but when i get it back I expect to start enjoying the car again as before i just kept hearing my car whining.

when i get it back, ill confirm the outcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts