BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

First time poster long time reader. I have been searching the forum but haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for. Im interested in a 2005 BMW 320I ES E90 but am a little worried about inconsistent reviews. 5 stars on honest john and multiple positive reviews elsewhere but lots of negatives on forums.

I have read that this is BMW's "worst engine" but believe this due to poor performance and fuel economy?

Is it plagued with injector problems or is that a newer/diesel model?

To summarise... in your infinite wisdom.... is this a silly buy? I do around 6-8000 miles a year.

The seller says the car has FSH

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Matt. I've moved your thread into the E90 Forum where all the current E90 owners hang out.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I bought my E92 recently so did a lot of homework prior to purchase :)

The 2005 model is the Pre-LCI version so it has port injection unlike later direct injection on LCI models.

The port injection is supposed to be more reliable as you don't get carbon build-up on valve live direct injection. You will be expected to replace the odd coilpacks.

BMW are heavy cars so fuel economy will not be great but reasonable.

If you can, try to stay away from the ES model and spend little extra for the SE model. The ES model is really poor spec and plenty of SE models about.

I do similar miles like yourself and I would consider a BMW with 107k miles but only if the service history was very good and maybe max 2 owners for car that age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sayekm, that's some great research (I wouldn't know where to start to find that info!) and a simple explanation to boot! I will pursue an SE model. Thanks again

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have recently purchased an 320i E90, There brilliant cars but do come with a few problems which isn't expensive to repair if your quite DIY handy. If you haven't bought it yet make sure you do your homework and check for the common problems. My car came with a few oil leaks and a blocked breather but i got it cheap so was worth repairing. I get 36.6 MPG on average and its got enough power for me (if your wanting something more powerful go for the 330 but this will come with a higher price tag for fuel).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts