BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I think I've got a little bit of a problem with my self leveling suspension on my 530d m sport touring!!!

Over the last three months the warning light has flashed on about 4 times but has never stayed on and it's seems to happen when it has been really cold?

Does anybody know if the warning light is linked to the front suspension as ive had some new wheels fitted and the guy said that the front drivers shock seemed to have a bit more play then the passenger side?? If not then it might have a front shock or bush etc gone as well :-((

So please any help would be fantastic!!!

Regards Justin

·
Registered
183 Posts
self levelling is only on rear suspension on this car as airbags will only be fitted to the rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have almost the same car, same year, had the same problem.

The self leveling suspension is just on the rear, and just on the tourings. It uses airbags instead of steel springs and an air compressor to inflate the bags.
It's a common fault and if you search you'll find plenty of info but basically the hose that joins the intake airfilter to the compressor is pour quality and cracks.
This allows the compressor to draw in dirty air which wears the compressor internally.
The bad news is, by the time you see the warning on the dash it's too late, the compressor is already damaged.
Even worst news is a new compressor from BMW is about £1000 fitted I think.

Better news, I bought one from this site;

http://www.air-suspension-shop.com/

It's currently listed at €385 +postage. ( they also do a new filter and pipe but this is just a standard inline fuel filter and rubber hose you could get anywhere)

The compressor is under the boot floor behind the drivers side rear wheel, the airfilter is in the rear wheelarch, above the liner.
I'd say it should take no more than an hour to fit and most of that will be getting to it - removing and refitting the plastic liner / undertray

Hope this helps

Adrian

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys

Thanks for the replys and thanks too awmw great info, ive booked it in with my mechanic mate so hopefully we can get it sorted out!!!

Cheers Justin

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just out of interest what's the worst that can happen if the compressor fails???? As I've put some 19's on my car!!!

Cheers justin

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Just out of interest what's the worst that can happen if the compressor fails???? As I've put some 19's on my car!!!

Cheers justin
Even with 19's on the car shouldn't rub if it ends up too low. You can't drive it if it has dropped to the deck though as this can cause splits in the airbags.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi kwempe

Thanks for that and all your other replies to my threads, i was a bit concerned as they are 10j's with 285 tyres on but to me the rear has not dropped at all but still going to get it checked out next week.

Just out of interest can you remove the air suspension and put normal Coil overs on instead with out causing to much problem or is it a big no no!!!!

Regards Justin

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I don't know of anybody that has carried out this mod but I think the E60 rear strut might fit, Even shows a coil spring on the Realoem page for the E61. Trouble is it would sit low unless you put some big old springs on and it would drop when it was load carrying. I think I would stick with the air suspension if it is just the compressor that is at fault

·
Registered
713 Posts
Actually, did anybody carried on DIY on reconditioning of compressor? If the light on the dashboard is still just intermittent, could it be as easy as cleaning it out?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Actually, did anybody carried on DIY on reconditioning of compressor? If the light on the dashboard is still just intermittent, could it be as easy as cleaning it out?
Yup, trouble is i don't know of anybody that supplies new seals. The compressor has two pistons sharing one, hollow connecting rod. A large piston draws the air in and compresses it then it passes down the rod into a small piston/cylinder. I could probably get a seal that fits the small cylinder but I doubt the large one would be easy to come by. They appear to be made of a rubbery graphite type material. A squirt of silicon spray up the compressor intake will revive it on a temporary basis.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers guys

Keep the information coming ;) Im going to stick with the air suspension but was just wondering if a normal type of strut could have been used!!
I'm thinking though if I need to change the compressor and pipes is it worth putting new airbags on as well or are do they last a bit longer??

Regards Justin

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You shouldn't need new pipes. Just some fuel hose with a large loop in it to allow for movement and a generic fuel filter to act as an air filter. The coloured pressure hoses are rigid and don't tend to decay. The only reason the air intake hose breaks is because BMW didn't put a loop in it from the factory. The compressor has floppy suspension mounts and moves around a lot, this fatigue stresses the intake hose which then breaks open and allows un-filtered air from right near the rear wheel to be drawn in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts