BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am going to change my tired starter motor, so am asking for advise on getting to it.

Having rummaged around underneath the car removing plastic covers and not being able to even see it, I assume it's done from above after removing the inlet manifold? I want to remove the manifold to de-flap it anyway.

Any tips most welcome.

Cheers

Glen.

·
Super Moderator
3,106 Posts
Like suggested first intake manifold out of the way. The torx bolts are in quite a tight place. Wrench spanner helps a lot, 10 mm hex is suitable. Clean the facing surfaces and preferably use a thin coat of conductive (copper) paste as the starter is grounded via its body. Use the same stuff on cable connectors. (I've used Molykote HSC Plus paste)

Most likely the starter could be revived by taking it apart and cleaning all the graphite dust from the rear housing. The graphite dust starts to partially short in the housing with contact surfaces. Also when putting it back together clean the contact surfaces between housing parts and use conductive paste to ensure best possible grounding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys, good advise.

I have ordered a new starter, but will revive the old as well if it's not too far gone.

Cheers

Glen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The torx bolts are in quite a tight place.
You are not kidding! What a tough job that was. I used a 10mm spanner on the top bolt, but couldn't shift the bottom bolt that way. I used an E14 torx socket a on a 3/8" ratchet with a swivel head. All from above.

All done now though and it starts instantly.

Glen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts