BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to BMWs and I've just bought a 325i Ci Convertible with 67000 on the clock. I got it cheap because there wasn't much service history but it seems like a decent motor. No oil leaks underneath. Sometimes it hunts at idle, and when its cold its easy to stall, but other than this I can't find anything wrong with it. So I'm gonna clean the idle control valve with methylated spirits which will hopefully solve that issue. At 67000 do I need to do anything or have a got a few months of worry free motoring?

Thanks for reading.

Darren

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mileage is nothing.
Age is everything.
Personally, I would get it checked and serviced. Get the rear arches cleaned and checked, they might need some heavy coating to prevent the dreaded rust from all the stone chips.
Bushes perish over time and need replacing, if your shocks make a squish sound, they need replacing.
Sounds like you bought a cracking car though, enjoy the summer and don't forget to vac the roof, wash, dry and seal it with Fabsil Gold, get yourself some Gummi Pfledge for any trim that has faded to grey. Make sure it's really clean with a brush first then dry and apply it, should stay black for at least a year depending how you clean the car, also stick it on rubbers but not the suede at the top of the window. There's rubber round all doors, boot, windows (except the suede bit) and engine bay.
Make sure your roof storage drains are bot unblocked, google will give you info on how to clean if required.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up, I bought the BMW cleaner for its roof because I didn't have time to research the best stuff for it, I'll make a note of what you've recommended. The handbrake is weak which is a job to tackle tomorrow, any tips?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its still hunting

Hopefully this will get through:

I've just took the idle control valve out, cleaned it with carburettor cleaner which helped free it up, it wasn't that bad though. Checked the hoses and cleaned the maf sensor with maf spray and its still hunting.. Any ideas what to check next?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I haven't, what does the disa valve do and why would I do that? The disa valve has its spring action so I put it back,.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What spark plugs work best in these engines? Euro car parts recommend Bosch or NGK and have a really good discount ATM.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've checked my spark plugs with a fila gauge, they're Bosch with 4 electrodes and a 0.6mm gap are they wrong? The euro car parts recommend a 1.6mm gap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After checkingvthe sparkplug on the 1st cylinder I fired her up and used the roof, it hunted slightly, I disconnected the disa and nothing changed. It sounded noisy though like it was sucking in loads of air, is this normal?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've taken all my plugs out, 5 have oil on, is this the dreaded rocker cover gasket leak? The plugs are Bosch super plus are these suitable?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the disa valve wasnt sealed properly would that cause a positive pressure in the engine and cause oil to be pushed through the gasket?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts