BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

[2005 325i] Alarmingly large oil consumption before and after engine swap

362 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DrEvil 
#1 ·
I bought my e46 about a year ago on 120k (ish) miles. Ever since I bought her shes been guzzling oil. Probably somewhere along the lines of a litre every 200 miles. She was running pretty sweet until one day I was driving on the dualy and the coolant light came on and the car lost a big chunk of top end power. I pulled over and checked her out and she seemed sweet, started her up again and the fault had stopped. Several months later the fault returned and had it diagnosed at the local garage they said it failed an emissions test and was only firing on 5 cylinders. They told me it was probably a new engine job but refused to do it and pointed me to a chap who would. I knew the guy anyway and asked him to give it a second look, he said I had a bent valve and suggested I just swap the engine block. So I let him do it and he said he had just put basically a like for like engine in the car. Except mine was the 2004 and was only on 97k. He advised me to replace the clutch while the engine was out and when he showed me it I could see why he recommended this and at only the price of the part it was a no brainer. Anyway work done, car seems to be running sweet again however the oil problem is persistent. I don’t see any oil pools and after googling it could suggest the CCV or PCV. I assumed the oil fault would be fixed when the engine was changed. I don’t see any excessive smoking or anything. Has anyone encountered this before. The only other thing I could think that could be an issue is the guy I brought it off said that the injectors were 3.0 instead of the 2.5 don’t know why he did that I assumed minor performance upgrade perhaps. Any assistance appreciated and sorry for wall of text.

tl;dr car burning oil before and after engine replacement

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.