BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove back on Tuesday and was fine went to park the car up and it was about to stall? Anyway plugged in the diagnostics and it said a injector was gone. Spent £200 on a injector and it was making a hissing noise. Turns out one of the swirl flaps has broken off gone into the engine and now its messed up!

It's a 2004 730d with 75k on the clock! Really annoyed as I had a new turbo 2010 at Christmas now this! Is it worth rebuilding or what should I sell??

·
Registered
26 Posts
Feel for you :jaw-dropping

Mine was running a bit lumpy the other day, plugged in the diagnostics like you and it came up with a swirl flap issue. Fortunately they were still intact so they have now been removed.

This seems to be such a common issue that surely it has to be worth going to BMW ans seeing what they will do?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Drove back on Tuesday and was fine went to park the car up and it was about to stall? Anyway plugged in the diagnostics and it said a injector was gone. Spent £200 on a injector and it was making a hissing noise. Turns out one of the swirl flaps has broken off gone into the engine and now its messed up!

It's a 2004 730d with 75k on the clock! Really annoyed as I had a new turbo 2010 at Christmas now this! Is it worth rebuilding or what should I sell??
It depends on how much damage was done but he cost of a replacement block verse a rebuild is about the same if a garge does it. Expect to pay £1500 fitted for a new (secondhand block fitted)

If you are lucky the flap is stick stuck in the inlet chamber but they usually disintergrate and trash the piston and valves. If you are really unlucky it takes out the turbo as well

Oh and BMW don't care and there is no legal precident to force them to pay

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like I'm going to get the engine re-conditioned. Found this place on the Internet Reconditioned Engines. Rebuilt Engines. Remanufactured Engines that reckons they can turn the engine in about a week and they are charging around £1700. Also for this price they will give a 5 year/60k warranty which I thought wasn't bad as I've been asking around for engines and they are around £1200 +.

Here's what they said on the email;

Remove, remanufacture and re-fit your existing engine and change your oils, filters and gaskets for £ 1430+ vat!*
Why replace your engine when we can remanufacture it?
Have a remanufactured engine cheaper than a second hand one!
Break down as follows;
Labour (to remove and re-fit your existing engine): £ 250.00 +vat*
Re-manufacture your existing engine: £ 1095.00 + vat*
Engine oil, oil filter & fitting gaskets: £ 85.00 +vat*
Collection £ 80.00
What does the remanufacture consist of?
1) Your engine shall first be stripped to bare component and put into a high pressure cylindrical parts washer at high temperature with cleansing chemicals- this removes all carbon deposits and debris from previous failures and takes the component back to a “bright” metal.
2) The Cylinder Block is then re-honed and or re-bored.
3) Pistons and or Rings are then changed
4) Connecting Rods are then re-honed.
5) The Crankshaft is then polished and or reground.
6) The main and big end bearing shells are then replaced to suit the size of the journal.
7) Your Oil Pump is then reconditioned.
8) The Cylinder Head is then stripped down and checked for wear, cracks and for trueness then pressure tested and refaced as necessary.
9) Valve guides are then checked for wear and replaced as necessary, valve seats are then cut.
10) New/re-faced valve are then lapped into the Cylinder-head and vacuum tested.
11) The Camshaft is then checked for wear and re-polished if required.
12) The engine is then reassembled with new gaskets and seals.
What are the benefits of an engine remanufacture?

Up to 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty available (subject to conditions)
Remanufactured engine means, zero mileage
No need to change engine numbers with the DVLA.
All engines fitted in our own workshops.
Low cost recovery can be arranged if required.
Our factory remanufacture is of a much better quality than a used engine.
Fast turn around
Visit our premises and take a factory tour.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
That is a good deal, a secondhand engine straight swap is £1400-1500 so the extra £200 gives you piece of mind, galling though for the sake of £32's worth of swirl flap balnking plates and an hours labour

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
First of all I'm sorry to hear about the swirl flap ingestion :mad but it would appear you have found a viable solution.

Have to say the "Up to 5 year / 60,000 mile warranty available" sounds too good to be true or is this available for an extra premium?

:thumbsup

·
Registered
13 Posts
What???!!! They still open? Didn't they got raided by police after a watchdog investigation last year?!? Sorry for you m8.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts