BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been looking around for iPhone integration solutions for my 2004 E64 645Ci for a while now, and its looking like the Dension is the best option, specifically the Gateway 500.

I've seen all the blurb about track info on the car screen, TBH I don't want all that, I want to see the info and control the music direct from my iPhone screen as its next to the wheel - does anyone know if this is possible, or can it only be controlled through the car controls ?

Also, I already have Bluetooth factory-installed (which works very well), will this be affected by a Dension install ? I've read it has Bluetooth capabilities, but I don't really need them, is it essential for just music playback ? i.e. Phone calls come through factory Bluetooth as now, but music goes through the Dension ? Will I need to buy the Dension Bluetooth adaptor ?

Grateful for anyone's experiences with these, specifically in relation to any impact on the iDrive - its one thing I don't want to bugger up, which I've read some of the cheaper kits do.

Many Thanks in advance,

T

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Iphone just plugs into the USB port on the gateway. In order for it to be able to play the videos off of your iphone that would be the only possible way it could connect, no need to connect to the dension via bluetooth. About the track info, it will be un-avoidable, but you'll get used to it. It's actually nice having track info so you know what song is playing. Most likely when you plug your iphone in, the control will be transfered to your head unit and you would control it from there.

Question for you:
Is your factory unit fibre optic compatible? If so, I would go that route instead of analogue. Fibre Optics are far superior to RCA's and there would be a noticeable lack of data loss. I use fibre optics at home and the sound quality is amazing, I didn't know they do it in cars already.

I took a look at the specifc model Gateway 500, it look like a very decent piece of kit, I'd go for it. I don't know much about the newer BMW's but as an audiophile I would recommend it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for the info mate. Not sure if mine is Fibre optic compatible, it is a few years old.

T

·
Platinum BFuk Member
230 Posts
tony,

dont know the in n outs of it all but i'm pretty sure most of our motor runs on fibreoptics .

gonna have to pick your brains on the bluetooth at some point. cant get mine to work with the phone

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi mate, happy to help if I can - I followed the instructions for pairing, and it worked straightaway. I get the occasional connection drop, and sometimes it takes a few minutes to link up, but in the main, it does what it says on the tin.

T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts