BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just back from asda,saw there's lots of engine oil at half price.
want to buy some for the future.
also,the redex petrol additive is at half price.2 quid for use on two tanks of fuel is really a bargain.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
You need 8 litres of fully synthetic 0W30 to LL04 standard. Opie have several brands which fit the bill. The filter is a paper cartridge which from memory is about 6 quid.

In theory the changes are 20k miles, but I do mine every year.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
many thanks~
well,i think change oil is a bit difficult for me,so just wondering do I need to top up oil after a year of service?or maybe sometime less than that?I know audi has got this oil burning problem.how about our 645?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
I'll do mine about ever 8,000 miles and by the looks of my service history, the previous owners have done this too, some even more frequent.

I use Castrol Edge 5w 30.

EDIT: be prepared to use some oil although I haven't needed to top up that much except when I really give it some! BMW say allow for up to a litre every 1000 miles but I'd be shocked if mine used that much

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
many thanks~
well,i think change oil is a bit difficult for me,so just wondering do I need to top up oil after a year of service?or maybe sometime less than that?I know audi has got this oil burning problem.how about our 645?
Oil change is very simple to DIY. Top up depends on consumption - E63/64s don't typically burn oil, but check the levels periodically anyway. Mine doesn't use any between changes as a rule, but all cars are different. Any conspicuous use and you should think in terms of one of the 6 series 'regular' leaks!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks.
wondering is there a big different outcome between change oil & simply top up?
also i've noticed there're choices for the oil you can put in our car,so when you do your top up,do you have to top the same brand&type as the previous one?

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Yes- - massive difference. we're talking maybe 250-500ml as a top up every 1000 miles (or in my case, not even that) vs 8 litres and - importantly - a clean/new filter. Night and day difference (cost as well!). You do not have to use exactly the same oil (brand) although I always do. The basic structure of synthetic oil is the same, but the different brands do have different additives. It's easy to ask whoever changes it what they use - or often cheaper to provide your own. Providing it's LL04, fully synthetic and 0W30 it will be OK. A DIY oil/filter change costs about £70 (about £120 at an Indie) and takes 30 minutes, so it's too cheap/easy/quick to leave to chance.

If you've recently got yours - maybe change the oil/filter anyway?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks dude~
I got them all done a month ago,so there's enough time left for me to learn how to change the oil myself next time,lol~
what's the different between 5w 30 and 5w 40?

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
thanks dude~
I got them all done a month ago,so there's enough time left for me to learn how to change the oil myself next time,lol~
what's the different between 5w 30 and 5w 40?
I can give you step-by-step instructions come the time if you wish.

The difference in viscosity in oil is represented by the SAE ratings - there's reams of descriptions on the internet, but in a nutshell it describes operating range of the oil. In reality - there's not much difference between 5w30 and 5w40 - the latter is slightly thicker. So, using an oil that is significantly different (in viscosity) from recommended either means it will be too 'thin' at normal operating temperature to lubricate and cool properly or will place a load on the oil pump and also not cool sufficiently if too think. A slight difference either way, doesn't make any real difference.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks dude,ill do some research on the DIY before ask you:)
so most people here is using 5w 30 rather than 40 right?
is it a good offer to go at half price now and store it for maybe the end of the year?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please contact us on 01209 215164 (option 2) for a service pack.
is that means i can't get it online from them?
btw,asda also have Holts Tyre Weld 400ml for £2..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i tried it with a 335,works fine but not much saving...

Castrol EDGE 0W-30 fully synthetic engine oil
Size Your Price inc VAT
1 Litre £15.31 £13.78
ADD TO BASKET >
4 Litres £45.95 £41.35

·
Registered
120 Posts
im going to get it done at an indie, getting the oil myself (5w-30 castrol edge longlife 04).

but just rang the stealers for filter.....£19......??

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Where else could i get it from as would like to do get it done over the weekend...
I've never tried a local parts place - but if you wanna do it this weekend, it's either dealer, Halfrauds or a local place I guess. They're all over Fleabay at around a fiver and Opie are about the same.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts