BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Several options to test, all DIY with basic skills.

1. Check beneath the pollen filters that the drainage channels aren't blocked, this is quite common on 6 and 5 series and if one/more is, clear them.

2. Check the rear window seals (get inside and get someone to play a hose on the outside).

3. Check the rain drains on the bottom of each front door aren't blocked.

4. Take the rear seat out and see if there's water beneath.

Try these first and post back if unsuccessful - remember, water runs to the lowest level so the actual leak need not be near the water pool!
I had same problem with my car drains were blocked below windscreen under brake servo this was full of water and the water was running down the bonnet release cable Ito the inside and running Down the back of the carpet after rain behind the front seat they were 100mm water also check drain into the inter wing this was blocked with leaves

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all
Total newbie here so apologies if this is on the wrong thread! I have a 2007 e63 which is suffering from the wet footwells issue and I can't seem to get to the bottom of it. Symptoms - very wet rear drivers side carpet and damp to the touch front carpet, especially near the brake pedal. I've cleared loads of crud from the 2 wing drains (the one under the brake servo was clear and the grommet had already been removed by someone else) and there was no collection if water in that space, yet I'm still getting water ingress when it rains. They're didn't seem to be any water coming from the pano roof and I'm starting to think it could be the door seal but this was changed a year ago and it doesn't make sense that the area near the pedals would be wet too. I'm going nuts trying to get to the bottom of this and thought it's time to call on the experts on here! Does anyone have any advice? I'm not sure if they're related but last week my instrument panel lost power twice which is making me think this could be related to the condensation build up. Anyone experienced this too? Waiting with bated breath! You will be my frikkin hero!
Cheers

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sunroof drains under the car by the front wheel arches? Water backs up the drain tube to the join with the plastic tube coming down from the front roof drains - the two tubes meet at the bottom of the A pillar so it leaks into the car from there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Evog
Thanks for your reply, I didn't even know about the sunroof drain tubes! Which side of the car will they be on and are they within the arch or actually underneath the car?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Both sides - they run down both A pillars inside the car. They come out actually under the car I think (my E63 doesn't have a sunroof, but my E46 and E53 both do and they come out under the car not within the arch so I'm extrapolating a bit here).

The other way of gaining access is to remove the interior A pillar trim: here's a picture of the near side E53 one which illustrates the general set up - offside is identical. At the bottom of the a pillar is the curtain airbag; next up is the near side plastic drain tube which you can see drops into a metal tube. The plastic tube just slides out of the metal one and you can then poke away down to the bottom of the car. 3mm strimmer wire is quite effective.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, thanks for the detailed info, very kind of you to take the time for me. It looks like there's going to be a fair bit of elimination work here starting with rechecking the recess where the brake servo is to make sure that drain guide hasn't got blocked in the last 2 weeks (I don't fancy my chances pulling apart my trim just yet, at least not until I get a rain free chance!). Have you had any experience with the door seals causing the issue by any chance? Last night I checked and it seems like there might (it was dark) be a 15mm vertical split (could be part of the design) half way up the seal where water could enter. I inserted a soft piece of rubber to try block up the gap but I got a paddling pool again this morning. 😖

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hi, no worries, hate water leaks they drive me nuts!

Never had a problem with door seal - have had several problems with door water vapour barriers coming unstuck however. That's easy to test for - open the door and pour water down the outside of the glass. If you get any water coming out between the door and the door trim, you're going to be getting wet carpets. If so, remove the door card (note that there are more screws then the youtube videos tell you - check real OEM for your VIN number to get the locations as they hide some under trim parts) and then re-seal the unstuck bit with bituminous tape.

If you give me a wider shot of the rubber door trim I'll go and compare it to mine - I can't tell from above which bit I'd need to look at to tell if it's normal!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, its definitely driving me nuts!
There's no trail of water down the side (above the pool of water) which is what is making me think it might be running from the front of the car, unless its running from the door seal on the inside behind the trim and then down into the carpet. I've attached a wider pic of the 2 locations of the gaps in the seal, plus one of the actual location of the pool of water. The whole carpet in the footwell is wet but the dark patch is where this morning's flow has concentrated.
Again, thank you!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yours does actually look a bit different there where it folds inwards into that v shape type groove (mine has a gap). Looks like the search goes on. I've just had my pollen filters out and both sides are clear (and dry!). I was kinda hoping that would be it but nope! Thanks again pal

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My money's on those sunroof drains at the front - fits all the symptoms (pedals, cluster damp, water ultimately in rear footwell). Good luck and keep us posted...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks Tim

Love your videos, good work! It was your one on the wing drains that helped me unblock them a few weeks ago but the leak persists unfortunately. The water was flowing from some gaps the arches and didn't seem to back up so assumed they were fine. Ordered some trim tools and will be tackling the pano roof drain tubes at the weekend to see if that helps! Any other tips 6 meister?
My money's on those sunroof drains at the front - fits all the symptoms (pedals, cluster damp, water ultimately in rear footwell). Good luck and keep us posted...
Cheers pal, ordered me some trim pry tools so will be tackling the a pillars at the weekend!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey mate, going to tackle my sunroof drain tubes at the weekend as part of my process of elimination. Do you know if its necessary to disconnect the battery to prevent the airbag going off or can I just go at it? Any tips?!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
No need disconnect the battery re the airbag. The airbag can be completely left in situ and alone so no need to disconnect battery.

On the A pillar trim there's a little plastic cover with 'airbag' on it - prise that out, which reveals a screw (torx I think but can't recall). Unscrew that, and then prise the top away using fingers. Once the top's away, lift it up and out for the bottom clear the dash.

But - before you do that, have a proper look under the car with a torch to see if you can find the drain point exits - look for small rubber flaps in the floorpan just behind the front wheel arch. If you can find them, it's easier to clear drains from the bottom up than the top down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, big thanks for your swift reply, your help really is appreciated 🙏. Good to know about the rubber flaps! So, I've just lay down and checked both sides in that location and can't see any flaps anywhere! 😩. A bit of a big ask but what are the chances you'd be able to send me a pic of yours? I took a video of that area behind the drivers side arch but its too large to attach on here!

The photo is of the area I was looking at if you could indicate where abouts it/they should be?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
No worries - will have a look in the morning. Health warning here: my E63 doesn't have a sunroof so I can't tell you with certainty where they are but I can take a picture of the X5 ones and their location which might give a clue as there is a fair amount of commonality in approach across the models.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry for all the questions! Well, it's raining again so I'll be having another look later on to try to spot the point of ingress again. Hopefully it'll subside at some point so I can get under the car! I wonder if the drain tubes outlets are at the back of the car on mine. Or maybe they're hidden within the wings 🤔

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
No worries! Here's the off side drain on the old X5. It's just inside the sill, behind the jacking point. Looking at the car from the side, it's directly under the bottom of the A pillar.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It's quite possible your drain exit points might be behind the wheel arch liners on each side - unfortunately I just don't know (I did actually check realoem for the E63 but it's no help on this one). Anyway, I'm hoping the above might at least help check the easier option first as getting behind the wheel arch liner is a bit of a faff.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts