BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone has had the same issue in there e63, water filling up behind the drivers seat in the passenger footwell - when its been raining.

If so does anyone know how to fix this and what rough costs i'm looking at??

Thanks

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I wonder if anyone has had the same issue in there e63, water filling up behind the drivers seat in the passenger footwell - when its been raining.

If so does anyone know how to fix this and what rough costs i'm looking at??

Thanks
Several options to test, all DIY with basic skills.

1. Check beneath the pollen filters that the drainage channels aren't blocked, this is quite common on 6 and 5 series and if one/more is, clear them.

2. Check the rear window seals (get inside and get someone to play a hose on the outside).

3. Check the rain drains on the bottom of each front door aren't blocked.

4. Take the rear seat out and see if there's water beneath.

Try these first and post back if unsuccessful - remember, water runs to the lowest level so the actual leak need not be near the water pool!

·
Registered
17 Posts

1. Check beneath the pollen filters that the drainage channels aren't blocked, this is quite common on 6 and 5 series and if one/more is, clear them.
Had the same problem and the solution was as afcneal quote above.:thumbsup

If you want to check it in a garage 2-3 hour labour charge ( £150 )
- Spray the car to see where water runs
- Check front wing cavity if is full of rubish etc
- Hoover out rubish required special hose

Good luck

Costas
*such a good car with some stupid problems

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys im going to try these out on monday and will feed back any findings. I hope i can find somthing out??

Cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

2. Check the rear window seals (get inside and get someone to play a hose on the outside).

3. Check the rain drains on the bottom of each front door aren't blocked.

4. Take the rear seat out and see if there's water beneath.

Try these first and post back if unsuccessful - remember, water runs to the lowest level so the actual leak need not be near the water pool!
1 to 4 all checked and all seem fine. The water seems to be coming in from where the bottom seat belt bracket is but there's no obvoius signs of water pouring in.
Any ideas of which seal needs changing then?

·
Registered
320 Posts
LOL yeah your right, Im a doughnut must pay more attention to the vehicle data.. :)
But if you remove the door panel on the side that the water is and water test it sometimes the door membrane leaks.. Hopefully I can redeem myself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
E63 Water in footwell - fixed

I have seen various threads about rainwater gathering in the E63/4 driver side passenger footwell and the problem occurred on my 2004 645ci this week.

What is confusing the issue is that water gathered mostly behind the driver's seat - I had about 15mm washing about when I spotted it.

Despite the use of a hose, I could not see any obvious leaks around the sunroof, windows or doors and was just lucky to spot a drip coming down above the accelerator pedal.

I had to remove both pollen filters and covers and found about 8 litres of water in the well under the brake servo!

The water was getting into the car through a small hole in the big loom gasket. I park on a sloped driveway and the rainwater ran to the back of the car, although the driver's carpet was also wet to the touch.

After getting all that water out with a large sponge, I could see two blocked drains - one under the servo and another on the side that drains the plastic cover through the wing. These were seriously clogged and I had to use some stiff wire and water pressure to clear them through. The wing drains have a funnel shape at the top and were clogged with leaves for about 75mm. Do both wings when the covers are off. You can't easily get to the drain in the passenger side well because of the ECU box - I decided to leave it for now.

:) Job done - I am now drying out the interior.

• This was a fairly simple DIY proposition:
  • Pull off the rubber strip that runs from wing to wing across the plastic covers.
  • Use a 13mm socket to turn the plastic retaining bolt 1/4 turn anti-clockwise on each pollen filter cover and then push the steel clip back to remove the filter.
  • Optional - disconnect the wiring plug to the bonnet alarm switch.
  • This reveals another 3 plastic retaining bolts on each cover - undo these and lift off the two covers - n/s first.
  • Remove one torx screw holding each cover to the inner wings.
  • Optional - disconnect the wiring plug to the brake fluid reservoir.
  • Remove water, thoroughly unblock the the drains and then reassemble.
  • Now find a way to remove all the water from under the carpet - patience required for this one. :frown

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had this problem few yrs ago, took my babe to body shop, paid less than 200, and problem was fixed,

there is a drain somewhere under the bonet, close to polen filter, it got blocked, and some how rain water made its way into the car through brake padle, then under driver seat and started accumulating behind driver seat, funny enough drivers matt and mat near the paddle was damp, not as wet as the rear section, he had to strip the car interior, matt, seats etc to find the source

body shop told me that the drain hole was blocked and he made that drain hole a bit bigger, so take some advise from snr members to locate all drain under bonet, and check em for blockage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for this, just followed this guide and spot on, a big pool of water under the pollen filter casing where the brake cylinder is. There was enough water in there to put a couple of goldfish in.

Cleaned out all the leaves and muk and the water just drained out, there's a small drain hole at the bottom underneath the slave that you need to make sure is cleaned.

:thumbsup

I have seen various threads about rainwater gathering in the E63/4 driver side passenger footwell and the problem occurred on my 2004 645ci this week.

What is confusing the issue is that water gathered mostly behind the driver's seat - I had about 15mm washing about when I spotted it.

Despite the use of a hose, I could not see any obvious leaks around the sunroof, windows or doors and was just lucky to spot a drip coming down above the accelerator pedal.

I had to remove both pollen filters and covers and found about 8 litres of water in the well under the brake servo!

The water was getting into the car through a small hole in the big loom gasket. I park on a sloped driveway and the rainwater ran to the back of the car, although the driver's carpet was also wet to the touch.

After getting all that water out with a large sponge, I could see two blocked drains - one under the servo and another on the side that drains the plastic cover through the wing. These were seriously clogged and I had to use some stiff wire and water pressure to clear them through. The wing drains have a funnel shape at the top and were clogged with leaves for about 75mm. Do both wings when the covers are off. You can't easily get to the drain in the passenger side well because of the ECU box - I decided to leave it for now.

:) Job done - I am now drying out the interior.

• This was a fairly simple DIY proposition:
  • Pull off the rubber strip that runs from wing to wing across the plastic covers.
  • Use a 13mm socket to turn the plastic retaining bolt 1/4 turn anti-clockwise on each pollen filter cover and then push the steel clip back to remove the filter.
  • Optional - disconnect the wiring plug to the bonnet alarm switch.
  • This reveals another 3 plastic retaining bolts on each cover - undo these and lift off the two covers - n/s first.
  • Remove one torx screw holding each cover to the inner wings.
  • Optional - disconnect the wiring plug to the brake fluid reservoir.
  • Remove water, thoroughly unblock the the drains and then reassemble.
  • Now find a way to remove all the water from under the carpet - patience required for this one. :frown

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Everyone, after owning my 645 for 3.5y, everything is great guess what, I just have the exact same problem with the water issue that cook my active steering control unit, it going to cost me upto £1k, beware check the blockage on the 2 box in the engine compartment, I did clear it out 1.5y ago just didnt expect it block that quickly, well I learn my leason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cheers for the guide and pics. Did mine today and whilst there was no water the rubber grommet was completely blocked and so were the drainage holes in the wings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very useful post

It helps a lot for me to see the dirty rubber hole is actually a drain plug.

I followed other posts and cleaned the water using a sponge but your post clearly says
There is a drain with bad design.

It's time for me to remove it permantly.

Many many thanks for your time.

It is recommended that you completely remove the rubber grommet from the drain plug hole as it is a bad design.

Here it is out:

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "Bigchagg, message: 642661, membre: 51717"]
Je me demande si quelqu'un a eu le même problème là-dedans E63, l'eau se remplissant derrière le siège du conducteur dans le plancher du passager - quand il pleuvait.

Si tel est le cas, est-ce que quelqu'un sait comment résoudre ce problème et quels sont les coûts approximatifs que je regarde ??

Merci
[/CITATION]
bonsoir comment avez vous corrigé le probleme entrée d'eau par le support de ceinture merci

1 - 20 of 50 Posts