BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed over the last few weeks of wet weather here in Glasgow that the rear driver's side footwell fills up with water overnight! I've tried tightening the driver's door and putting silicone lube on the door seals, but no improvement. I'm also not sure where the water's getting in, but surely it can only be the sun-roof or the door seals? There's no obvious damage to any of the seals, so I may have to sit in the car for a while when it's raining to try and spot where the drips are getting in!
Has anyone else experienced this problem with a 2004 E63 and if so what was the solution?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK its Glasgow so it rains all the time but it may be quicker if you get someone with a hose to spray it while you are inside and you may find where its coming from a lot quicker :thumbsup You'll only be able to get the solution once you know where its coming in from....

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Not heard of this - wherever anyone lives!!

Like RJB, my money would be in the rear windows. Think about where the car is parked as well - is it on the flat? If not. water will flow to the lowest point, not necessarily when it's already on the carpet. Replicate the leak as suggested by Stk, rear seats are easy to remove.

If you can, post back on here so we know for the future!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I tried the hose pipe test last night with youngest son sitting in car and despite a drenching for 5 mins nothing was getting in the car - not obvious anyway. Will try again, probably with me sitting in the car this time and I may do some stripping out of seats as suggested. Leaks whether on level or slope and it's just the destination of the water that changes with angle of the slope!
Will post details of any solution to this problem.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I read somewhere about a drain hose (or summat like that) which I'm fairly sure runs near or in the rear doors of 5 series. I can't see anything on RealOEM though.

Maybe you could investigate more in this area?

·
Registered
865 Posts
We have few E63's leaking in past door seal about in middle of seal, runs in seal and leaks out under inner sill trim. We've done 3-4 of them thats only place we found them leaking in so far. You can't see it drip in but when remove full int with carpets couple litres water under carpet. Fit new seal put bit of rtv in between seal before fitting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
We have few E63's leaking in past door seal about in middle of seal, runs in seal and leaks out under inner sill trim. We've done 3-4 of them thats only place we found them leaking in so far. You can't see it drip in but when remove full int with carpets couple litres water under carpet. Fit new seal put bit of rtv in between seal before fitting.
Thanks. I'll try this on driver's side if my current theory goes belly-up.

I dismantled both air filter boxes yesterday and also plastic panels below, which have an in-built drain recess that drains water into the front wings. The drain holes on both sides of the car were completely choked with leaves and similar rubbish. As I live in a wooded area this is no surprise really, but took a bit of work to locate. I'm working on the assumption that the choked drain-holes cause water to back up within the airfilters and the recesses below, which then cause water to leak into body of the car possibly through a small hole somewhere..... anyway it's my current theory and I'm waiting for a wet Scottish night to prove/disprove..... I know I won't have long to wait..... this is Scotland!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fix seems to be holding good so far, so it probably wasn't the door seals after all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still dry after a week or so and a few wet Scottish nights, so my Heath Robinson fix may have worked. Picture of my 645Ci enclosed below.

·
Registered
17 Posts
E63 in Fife some problem

Bought a 2004 E63 2 days ago and after a heavy rain the alarm went off. After reading your comments i checked the drain holes on both sides of the car and were completely choked with leaves. No water inside the car. I Thing that the water made the wires a bit wet and spray some WD40 to solve the problem. Now i'm waiting for rain to see the results.

*Can you confirm for me if there is any warning ( visual or sound ) when door is ajar.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
*Can you confirm for me if there is any warning ( visual or sound ) when door is ajar.

Thanks
Nope - neither light nor 'bong'. I suspect if you have auto-lock set it may 'have a moment' if you drive away and it attempts to lock the doors, but I've always noticed before then so never tried it!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks

Ops! I nearly call the dealer to tell him about the warning.

Still no rain ( i did tested with some water spray with my garden hose ) so i do not know what to expect for the alarm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
water in footwells

I have a 650i and when I first had the car had the same problem and it was due to the drain hole blocked under the air box on the drivers side, its a common fault on this model I've been informed. make sure the holes are free from debris and the boxes are securely tightened down and you should have no problems in future.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Judging by how old this thread is it's likely no-one will see this post but does anyone happen to know where the sunroof drain exit points would be on a 2007 e63 (facelift)? I have this dreaded water in the rear driver side footwell issue and i can't get to the bottom of it. I've cleared the wing drains, scuttle drain is clear with no water collecting down there. I've pulled apart my A-pillar trims but there are no drain tubes there for me to try to clear out and I can't see any exit points anywhere under the car. The door seal was replaced last year by the previous owner and there are no obvious signs of ingress. Just a shallow paddling pool taunting me and severely condensated windows 😫. If anyone can help me resolve this I will send love, hugs, beer, food, my soul. Anything!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sorry the front didn't bear fruit... :-(

If they're not at the front, they must be at the back, running down the C pillars as the sunroof must drain to somewhere.

·
3,210 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts