BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
looking to change tyres from runflats to non-rf`s.
Having read good reviews of the Falken 452`s I think i`m gonna go with them.
I am just a bit confused by the ratings on them ie my bridgestones are a 93Y. The Falkens come in a 97Y and XL.

What is the XL part - is it extra load?
Does the 93Y to 97Y make a difference?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
go for XL rated tyres mate - they will say 97 load rating on them

gives good turn in and you will not regret the choice

Reactions: slingshotman

·
Registered
36 Posts
How does it affect the car going from rflats to non rflats. Doesnt the system get confused or can it be switched off. I want to go non runflat but dont want to spend the money without knowing that it is a straightforward swap with no complications.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the same issue as muppetdodger.

Run Flats make my car feel as tough its steering is out of place, sort of pulling to sides (nothing wrong with steering, tough!) Looking to change to non run flats, but don't know if "normal" tyres will mess the pressure monitoring sensors :/

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have the same issue as muppetdodger.

Run Flats make my car feel as tough its steering is out of place, sort of pulling to sides (nothing wrong with steering, tough!) Looking to change to non run flats, but don't know if "normal" tyres will mess the pressure monitoring sensors :/

No they won't as you don't have TPMS. Your monitoring system works by monitoring the wheels rotational speed using the ABS sensors. Loss of pressure changes the diameter affecting the rotational speed and giving an alarm. This will work equally well whichever tyre type you have fitted.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Folks

i changed mine a few months back - drove out of the tyre place - tyre warning came on as expected - Stopped - initialised the tyre pressure monitor via iDrive and never had a problem since

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do it, change em, ride is better with non RFT's, quieter too, just remember to get a can of puncture goo to stick in the boot...

As 530kam says - no issues whatsoever - just reset the tyre pressure thingy in i-drive, go for a drive for 5 or so minutes - job done -I went from 245 45 17 RFT's to offset 19's with non RFT's ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts