BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know whether anyone has upgraded the turbo's on a 535D to slightly bigger ones to push the performance a bit further than a re-map?

I'd be interested to see what else would be involved to make this work.

Engine internals, manifolds, intercooler, pipework etc I guess would need to be looked at to get the best out of a bigger turbo set up but has anyone done it?

Just interested!

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
fella, can you do us a favour and title your thread as per all the others (if unsure have a look in my sig). It keeps the forum tidier and makes it easier for people to help you out as they know what car you have :thumbsup

Unfortunately the gearbox is the limiting factor on the 535d. 700nm of torque is about all its good for. Never heard of anyone with bigger turbos but injectors/intercoolers etc then yes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fella, can you do us a favour and title your thread as per all the others (if unsure have a look in my sig). It keeps the forum tidier and makes it easier for people to help you out as they know what car you have :thumbsup

Unfortunately the gearbox is the limiting factor on the 535d. 700nm of torque is about all its good for. Never heard of anyone with bigger turbos but injectors/intercoolers etc then yes.
Cool!

Cheers for that!

Is there a way of uprating the Gearbox?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
yes - it's very easy, this is what you do ......

1. take keys from house and start car
2. put on seat belt
3. drive to local BMW $tealership
4. hand keys, V5 + bank account details to salesman
5. drive M5 home! :hihi :hihi :hihi

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes - it's very easy, this is what you do ......

1. take keys from house and start car
2. put on seat belt
3. drive to local BMW $tealership
4. hand keys, V5 + bank account details to salesman
5. drive M5 home! :hihi :hihi :hihi
Lol!

I was very nearly there with the M5 but the fuel economy put me off.

I thought the 535D would give me big fat levels of Torque and 35mpg.

It'd be interesting though to see what could be done with a Diesel though to push it a bit more than standard dont you think!?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i am watching closely mate - you might tempt me to make mine quicker!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am watching closely mate - you might tempt me to make mine quicker!
This is what I'm trying to find out. How far has anyone taken a big Diesel?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I thought they had a twin turbo engine already!? Or your one has a screw turbo version!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
they have two in line turbo's - one for the lower rev range and then the bigger turbo for the higher range

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know the airbox design of the M57 engine is rated for 350Bhp.... So I'm sure someone has been there with them.
To move the power over the standard re-map capabilities, the whole air flow system will need to change starting from the airbox all the way through the pipework to the downpipe including decat if a true flowing system is to be achieved.

I'm just interested if anyone has bothered trying on a 5 series oil burner!

You'd be surprised how much a standard gearbox will take as my TT still runs standard internals but with an uprated clutch.

I'd be interested to find out what the standard pistons and rods are rated to.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Upgrading turbo is the last step on a very long way.
A remap will bring you 320 HP an 630 - 650 Newton meters of torque.
Upgrading the intake and fitting X5M 50d injectors, freeing the exhaust of the cats will bring you closer to 350 HP and your mapper will need to be smart enough to limit the torque to ~700 Nm in high gears and significantly lower in lower gears in order to not destroy the gearbox.
Yes, there is a way to upgrade the box, involves sending it over to the US of A or just buying a new, uprated one from them - BMW Complete Performance Transmission for example.
My guess is... a realistic goal for this engine with bigger turbos allowing street driving (and not a very narrow torque band) would be around 400 HP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BMW 535d

Your having a laugh if you think you can achieve 340bhp without any mods.

Your mate sounds like he's telling porkies.

You need to remove dpf/cat at least before you even get close to that figure.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
yup I agree, 340bhp probably ran on very inaccurate rollers, of which there are many - very popular too as people are often told what they want to hear as opposed to what is right :)

As already said, upgrade the intercooler and pipework to enable an increase in boost, remove the CAT/DPF to free up the exhaust and a decent map is the only way to really get this car moving without massive expense. Another member on here claims to keep up with his mates M5 with CAT/DPF/EGR delete and remap - a new core could get another 20-40bhp depending on your mapper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts