BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a distraught newbie.

My big bad beautiful 2004 E60 530i sports is playing up. The I-Drive is dead and the PDC does not function - also the aftermarket bluetooth phone has gone itermittent ..... wierd.

Can anyone help me with any simple fixes today that I can try before the main agent takes all my holiday fund tomorrow!

I's like to check the fuses but who knows where they are ???

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
Have added your car details to your thread title to adhere to forum rules...:thumbsup

Hopefully someone will come to your rescue quick :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
havn't had any reason to look just yet, but 2 locations usually

1. above the glovebox, with 2 captive screws
2. right hand side of the boot wall behind a peice of trim

Reactions: MazTheFixer

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Battery!! Quick and easy one to test. All later model i-drives are very vulnerable to low current.....the cold weather has seen the death of many batteries. If you have the original in the car, it's almost certain to have died!

Even if the car starts........

A fuse check is also easy, but unlikely to have blown them all!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I found the the list of the fuses on the back of the tool/first aid box compartment and located the relevant fuses in the luggage compartment (on RHS). All the fuses I checked are 100% ok.

I would be genuinely surprised if the Battery needs to be replaced, it has never shown any signs of weakness in the past. However I do understand that if my battery is weak, the systems that are less Vital are programmed to shut off to ensure that there is enough juice to keep the car running.

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Looks like I am going to have to raid the Holiday Money tin tommorw morning after all!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
The i-drives do throw wobblies.

As others have said, battery first.

There is a reset procedure too listed in previous post, see HERE

Mine resembled a Paul Smith shirt, but locked the car up overnight and it sorted itself out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. I put the battery on a trickle charger and it is taking 4 Amps! I was not expecting that.

The Battery must be in a dire straight after the cold spell.
When I think about it, the car has been standing on the driveway since 3rd Jan with occasional short [8 - 10 miles] trips so very little opportunity for the alternator to bring the battery condition back up to normal.

So now I am hoping that an overnight charge will do the trick.

If it recovers by breakfast time I will cancel the visit to the Main Dealer in the morning and will then be taking the car for a 500 mile round trip in the next two days so I hope to be able to hang on to my Holiday Stash for just a little while longer.

REALLY BIG THANKS for the suggestions.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Wow. I put the battery on a trickle charger and it is taking 4 Amps! I was not expecting that.

The Battery must be in a dire straight after the cold spell.
When I think about it, the car has been standing on the driveway since 3rd Jan with occasional short [8 - 10 miles] trips so very little opportunity for the alternator to bring the battery condition back up to normal.

So now I am hoping that an overnight charge will do the trick.

If it recovers by breakfast time I will cancel the visit to the Main Dealer in the morning and will then be taking the car for a 500 mile round trip in the next two days so I hope to be able to hang on to my Holiday Stash for just a little while longer.

REALLY BIG THANKS for the suggestions.
Good luck mate. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect a charge will only keep you going for a short while and the battery needs replacing.........

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi
have you any updates on this?
My i-drive has gone as well, i have done the reset, dissed off the battery for 20minutes - all to no avail.
thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have the same issue was driving my 2006 535d this morning listening to the radio then suddenly idrive completely shut off left the car alone for about 10 hours restarted but no joy idrive is now dead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Idrive went dead along with pdc

Greetings,

Seems like this is a common problem, but no updates on this forum, so I wonder if others have narrowed down problem. I have 545 and problem started on hot day where iDrive went black, came back on for a few days, then went black again. Came back on again for a few days, then went dead and has been for a week now, cooler weather too. Changed battery, charged it up, still dead. Checked wiring and fuse, still nothing.

I had SOS come on, so I disconnected battery overnight and this didn't help either. I do not have NAV, so no CCC which seem like a major culprit in these iDrive failures. If I disconnect MASK unit which is CD and radio from what I learned, could this be holding iDrive down? What about MLP, I checked it in trunk and no water or dampness and unit appears not to be burned like many have had happen. I hate to replace things without getting a little input on which component is most likely the culprit.

Thanks,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts