BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Satnav has thrown it's legs in the air. Just says Insert DVD. This is the same for DVD or CD.

Business Nav (just arrows) on a 2004 E60 M-ASK

Replacement complete drives seem stupid expensive for what it is, may as well go up to a CCC unit and trawl through the coding grief.
Same for repairs costing about £200 ish.

I've replaced enough lasers on Playstations in the past, it can't be much different, I just can't find one.

There must be a cheap fix for this piece of junk or my Garmin will become a more permanent fixture in front of the iDrive.

If I can't source one, I will strip it down and clean it but this method is never very successful.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Look out, a nano second after hitting submit I might have found one

Google Translate

Looks like about £39 delivered from Germany.

Laser unit for BMW M-ASK2 devices. This laser reads CD - DVD media can play MP3 and audio.
Brand laser for best results in the M-ASK system. Order Your BMW spare parts for your navigation system. Our shop is open 24 hours a day. We deliver your pickup within a few days at the address you. Securely packaged - in perfect quality - at a fair price.
Before I place my order, what is the difference between M-ASK and M-ASK2 ??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Chris, how did you get on with the repair? I'm having the same problem and just came across your post, your help and advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turned out the one I found was the wrong one. I didn't know that until I stripped it down.

On the upside, when I took it apart I found it filled with flaked paper slithers, must have been an old disk label which had come off. It was so brittle it powderised as soon as I tried to pick it up the pieces.

I gave it a good blast out with compressed air, put it back together and it's been fine ever since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts