BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
the filter should be a cartidge type(this is a guess) so you just need to pull it out change the filter and then push it back in, im not sure on what sort of clips there might be but it wont be hard to figure out, this is a very easy diy job so have a go at it. if you still need help then post back and ill get you every bit of info you need.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Make sure if your doing it yourelf cver fitted in properly and dont x thread bolts!!! seen it done when cars bought to BMW independents and dont have a clue. Easy job but will take you 1hr since you never done one before (me 5mins), and make sure you got correct tools before strip ie 45 torx to remove strut brace, 5mm allen key, 25 torx for pollen filter housing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
God it is a pig opf a job.

I found Kit kat chunky wrapper up there, a Mc Donalds straw and lots of leaves.

However as I didn't have right tools, I couldn't finish the job. Ordered a new filter and will attempt over weekend.

So it's having to take all the strut bar and plastic off yeah? :(

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
God it is a pig opf a job.

I found Kit kat chunky wrapper up there, a Mc Donalds straw and lots of leaves.

However as I didn't have right tools, I couldn't finish the job. Ordered a new filter and will attempt over weekend.

So it's having to take all the strut bar and plastic off yeah? :(
Yup, Look right down the back to make sure you get all the scews and bear in mind the little plastic screws securing the pollen filter housings only turn just over half a turn as they are just latches not actual screws. The catch in the centre of the bulkhead slides to the right and has a little catch you need to lift up with your thumb nail before it will move. Also don't forget the two tiny torx screws that hold the front of each pollen filter housing in place!

You have just found out why so many dealers don't change them when they are supposed to and why so many diesel BMWs are driving around with blocked up air filters!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It is quite a tricky job due to location of rear housing hex nuts (x2) and need to remove a/c filters and housings around, but technically straight forward.

remove plastic engine cover
remove covers and a/c filters (disconnect sensor from driver side filter also)
remove air filter housing nuts (x5 including x2 at the very rear of housing (tricky to get to)
remove (pull) maf sensor and air inlet pipes from housing
lift the air filter housing off and remove old air filter
clean out air filter housing area from all debris (leaves, twigs, dead birds, audi and merc badges LOL)
place new filter into housing (very tight fit) but rubber end of cartridge fits over filter housing end
refit air filter cover, air inlet and maf sensor
tighten hex nuts (be very careful not to x thread)
fit a/c filter housings and a/c filters
reconnect a/c filter sensor
refit engine cover
check engine bay and working area for any missing parts, spare nuts/screws/fittings etc that you may have not fit
start engine to make sure no warning messages (likely to come from a/c filter or maf sensor incorrect fitting)
run for 5 mins to make sure car returns to idle from choked fuel injection (if starting from cold, failure to do this may flood engine)
job done

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fully agree JohnT, a bit of a pig to do.
If I had had a torx bit for the strut stays, I would have removed the one across the filter as well.
Trying to force the new air filter under the stay and into position left a few knuckle scrapes.
Having said all that, it can be done and it saves some cash !!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.