BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove around 10 miles this morning at up to 80 mph on the motorway. Went to my mates garage to use the diagnostic tool to check the PDC for faults. We checked everything else and reset a couple of minor faults. The coolant temp read 52 degrees C and DPF 102 degrees C.

What should these read after this sort of journey ? Car is running pretty well with 40 mpg, crisp acceleration etc. :cool

·
Registered
781 Posts
Drove around 10 miles this morning at up to 80 mph on the motorway. Went to my mates garage to use the diagnostic tool to check the PDC for faults. We checked everything else and reset a couple of minor faults. The coolant temp read 52 degrees C and DPF 102 degrees C.

What should these read after this sort of journey ? Car is running pretty well with 40 mpg, crisp acceleration etc. :cool
I'd have expected the coolant to be more than 52 after a 10 mile drive. Do you know you can monitor the coolant temp from a hidden menu in the OBC? Normal operating temp is somewhere between 88 and 93C

Download the pdf at this link and follow the instructions. It's for an M5 but they're all the same

http://www.scoopz.com/m5board/E60_Hi...structions.pdf

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
52C after a 10 min run smacks of main thermostat to me - don't worry - it's a very common problem with the 5's. Change them both (main and egr stats) before you get a clogged DPF and have to spend £1500!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, i thought the coolant temp was low. not sure about the DPF one. I also know about the hidden menu but have not explored it yet. :thumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts