BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, please help on a problem am having with my 2004 X5 4.8is

About 3 weeks ago I lifted a heavy box (20kg) into my boot, when I started the car I got the Suspension error message come on. The next day I took my car to the dealer and they just refreshed the computer and all was ok.

This morning I picked up my mum from the airport and put her 40kg suitcase in the boot, on the way home all hell broke loose in the car, ABS and the 4x4 lights were on.

I stopped the car and tried to restart it again but no joy, I left it for about 3 mins and tried again, this time it started but the TRANS. FAIL SAFE PROG warning light was on. The car then limped home in second gear. When I got home and emptied the boot, I stopped the car for about 5 mins and restarted again and all the lights were gone.

This problem seem to only happen whenever I put heavy load in the boot. I can drive the car for weeks without any issues, but if I load something heavy in the boot this problem happens.

Has anyone come across this problem before? Am not sure if it’s some kind of sensor that’s at fault or something more serious.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Not a problem I've come across before, I should think it's a sensor fault as 20kg or 40 kg isn't heavy to carry in the back, you could get the fault codes read for the suspension and see if it has a problem stored on the ECU.

I once had a X5 in that had the lights on for suspension like you say but wouldn't clear, it was the fuse blown in the drivers side rear of the boot, good one to remember for future :thumbsup

1 - 2 of 2 Posts