BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, The problem started when he was listening to the radio - not too loud, all the speakers stopped working apart from the n/s/f.
Took the car to a very good car hifi shop who knew about X5's, they tracked it down to a unit in the boot footwell - under the spare tyre, next to the battery - it's called a BMW Professional radio tuner BM54 part number on the unit is 65.12-6 943 451.
They removed the unit and took the cover off to find water inside, they clean out best possible and replaced the unit.
Reconnected the battery now the satnav/radio and the screen doesn't work.
also the inditcators tell tale doesn't work on the dash but do work outside the car.
I have found a unit with the same part number do you think this will solve the problem?
thanks in advance - cheers Mick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies.
I think as this unit has had water inside and you can actually see the damage on the printed circuit, have to change it for a new unit – might not completely solve the entire problem of the car but, is a positive find and should be rectified first and then go from there.
Mick.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Thanks for your replies.
I think as this unit has had water inside and you can actually see the damage on the printed circuit, have to change it for a new unit – might not completely solve the entire problem of the car but, is a positive find and should be rectified first and then go from there.
Mick.
Agree with you there :thumbsup

Have you found the cause of the water leak?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi, checked all fuses, in o/s of boot and behind glove box - all okay.
Carefully cleaned circuit board, at damaged place and near to it the best i can.
Sprayed the board with circuit board cleaner and replaced the unit.
Reconnected battery and started engine, the screen came to life but no radio at all.
Everything works on the car, satnav, phone (bluetooth) indicators works as they should.
The knob on the left (the on/off and volume button) if you push it to turn the radio on, nothing happens, no tell tale light !! :-(
As for the water ingress, will have to strip out the boot area and water test it…
Mick.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Mickanic - please let me know if this was the problem as a mate of mine has just had (literally just got off of the phone to him) the same problem with his 2004 X5 and does not know where to start.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ronnie - need your help could you get me a price for part number B65126976964 - it is for my mates X5 who is having similar problems as I mentioned above. He has been quoted a horrendous figure from BMW just for the part, he has a 04 plate X5 3 litre. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Ronnie - need your help could you get me a price for part number B65126976964 - it is for my mates X5 who is having similar problems as I mentioned above. He has been quoted a horrendous figure from BMW just for the part, he has a 04 plate X5 3 litre. Thanks in advance...
£680 :jaw-dropping

See here, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?part=65126976964&showus=&showeur=1&series=E53

And the equivalent part number price http://www.cooper-bmw-parts.co.uk/i...ls&flypage=shop.flypage&option=com_virtuemart

·
Registered
470 Posts
OUCH! er anywhere cheaper? any suggestions? - has to be a new unit though....BMW quoted him 700 for the part alone.....I did ask him if they were in a Dick Turpin mask as even he had the decency to wear one when commiting daylight robbery!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.